I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Friday, November 24, 2023

BLACK FRIDAY COMC PICKUPS - PART 72 CREEPY CAVE

THE GRAND FINALE, AKA THE LAST CARD I FOUND WITH THE LAST MONEY I HAD. IT'S A GREAT ONE THOUGH

2020 TOPPS ALLEN & GINTER WHERE MONSTERS LIVE MINI A CAVE


I FRIGGIN LOVE ALLEN & GINTER'S WHOLE THING AND WHILE I HAVE RESIGNED MYSELF THAT I WILL NEVER OPEN ANOTHER PACK OF THE STUFF AGAIN - LET ALONE A BOX - I STILL WANT TO COLLECT IT IN SOME WAY EVEN THOUGH BUILDING SETS IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN ANYMORE. THE FRANKENSET(S) IS STILL GOING STRONG AND THERE ARE MULTIPLE POSTS WITH MINIS IN THE DRAFT FOLDER I NEED TO FINISH ONE OF THESE YEARS. AT THE END OF LAST YEAR'S BINGE I HAD A HANDFUL OF CHANGE LEFT AND I WAS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO SPEND IT ALL ON. NO PENNIES LEFT IN MY WALLET! THIS IS SLIGHTLY TRICKIER THAN YOU'D THINK, IF YOU JUST TRY TO SEARCH ON EVERYTHING HOPING TO GET TO YOUR PRICE POINT THE SITE BOMBS AFTER 100 PAGES. YOU HAVE TO SEARCH FOR SOMETHING REASONABLY SPECIFIC SO YOU DON'T GET 82 MILLION RESULTS. I SEARCHED FOR ALLEN & GINTER AND STARTED LOOKING FOR SOMETHING COOL AND THIS LITTLE MINI POPPED UP AT ME. I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE CREEPY GLOW IN THE DARK MONSTER SET! IT DIDN'T COMPLETELY DRAIN MY ACCOUNT BUT IT WAS TOO COOL TO PASS UP. MORE CARDS SHOULD HAVE GARGOYLES AS A DESIGN ELEMENT


THIS CARD REALLY HIT HOME WITH ME AS I HAD RECENTLY WATCHED THE SERIES HELLIER ON YOUTUBE EARLIER THAT YEAR. IT'S A SERIES ABOUT SOME PARANORMAL INVESTIGATORS THAT GO CHASING AFTER GOBLINS IN KENTUCKY CAVES AND THEY GET MIXED UP IN A BUNCH OF WEIRD SHENANIGANS. PARANORMAL INVESTIGATION TV SHOW IS SYNONYMOUS WITH FAKE HOOEY SCHLOCK THANKS TO CRAPPY REALITY TV, BUT THIS SHOW IS VERY THOUGHTFUL AND IS SHOT BEAUTIFULLY. EVEN IF YOU DON'T CARE AT ALL ABOUT LITTLE MONSTERS IT'S SOME GREAT EYE CANDY. IT IS STILL A LARGE DOSE OF HOOEY BUT SUPER CLASSY HOOEY THAT BOUNCES ALL OVER THE CRYPTID CONSPIRACY LANDSCAPE FROM GOBLINS TO MOTHMAN TO INDRID COLD AND ULTRATERRESTRIALS. WHEN I WAS A KID I PICKED UP A COPY OF CHARIOTS OF THE GODS AT A GOODWILL BOOKSALE AND THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY NEAT. THE NEXT YEAR I PICKED UP MORE ALIEN BULLSHIT BOOKS AT THE SALE INCLUDING CRASH GOES THE CHARIOTS BY CLIFFORD WILSON WHICH DEBUNKED A LOT OF THE CHARIOTS NONSENSE AND I THOUGHT THAT WAS EVEN COOLER. THE PLANET WEIRD FOLKS ARE MORE IN THAT LATTER CATEGORY AND ARE NOT AFRAID TO CALL OUT THE BULLSHIT WHILE STILL HAVING A LOT OF FUN WITH THE COOL WEIRD PARANORMAL STUFF. IF YOU LIKE HELLIER OR JUST PARANORMAL STUFF IN GENERAL I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THEIR SHOW THE HAUNTED OBJECTS PODCAST WHERE GREG AND DANA SHOW OFF SOME OF THE STRANGE HAUNTED TCHOTCHKES THEY'VE COLLECTED IN THEIR MUSEUM. IT'S SUPER FUN AND OFTEN HILARIOUS

I'M DEFINITELY COLLECTING THIS ENTIRE SET AND HAVE ALREADY PICKED UP A FEW MORE CARDS INCLUDING A SECOND CAVE FROM NIGHT OWL. SERVES ME RIGHT FOR TAKING AN ENTIRE YEAR TO POST THIS CARD BUT REALLY YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY CAVES. AND GLOW IN THE DARK CAVES AT THAT!

4 comments:

Fuji said...

I wanted to complete this set back in 2020 too. Not sure I ever actively started building it... or completed it though.

night owl said...

You could put the two cave cards next to each other and pretend one was the entrance and one was the exit ... NOT THAT ANYONE EVER LEAVES.

BaseSetCalling said...

This post made me hop right back over to COMC where I am otherwise sitting around tonight waiting for the extra special last chance one day only Cyber Monday sale to try and get 40¢ baseball cards for only 36¢ instead, cuz, the dang things add up after a while.

I did that so I could see if anyone has ever yet created a card for MothMan. Sadly, only Pokemon type cards exist using that name.

The real MothMan is from, somewhere, around Point Pleasant, WV, again, just, somewhere. They have a statue and everything, it's a hoot. Recently I learned there were T-shirts and a museum, I missed that last time through, dangit. The weirdest thing about Mothman is that a) the statue is not very big, and, OK, 2 things, b) the whole thing gives off this vibe like no one in the WV can decide if Mothman is a Monster - that you are supposed to be afraid of - OR, a SuperHero, cuz, it's West Virginia and West Virginia ain't exactly got a lot of SuperHeroes around, you know? I mean, if it was a Monster, wouldn't the statue be like, big and scary? But everyone knows that SuperHeroes are normal Man sized, just like the MothMan statue is, which seems to give it this deliberate vague-ness while everyone around there is very proud of MothMan. There is also a pretty darn tasty IPA named after MothMan, who adorns the cans you can enjoy while hoping to see MothMan, somehow.

Which reminds me of where I live, in Backwoods, Michigan, which is a lot like the WV cuz Backwoods is about the same everywhere you go. Here, we have the DogMan. The DogMan season always begins around Memorial Day and always ends around Labor Day. There is a guaranteed way to see DogMan too. First you have to go camping out in the woods or it just won't happen. Then, you drink a whole 30 pack of Dad beer, and voila, there is the DogMan. I think we also aren't sure if DogMan is a Monster, or a SuperHero though as of yet there have been no DogMan casualties, if you don't count some kinda tough hangovers, nor has DogMan really saved anybody or even done anything, either. He just, appears, sometime after Midnight but before Dawn (it actually takes a fair bit of time to drink a 30 pack, but if the Sun comes back up you will always quit the quest). I think MothMan sightings might work essentially the same way, not sure.

So yeah, I need a TV show about MothMan in my life, and then, a trading card. I have been wondering what is taking so long on that 2nd point. If Allen, or Ginter, would come out to Backwoods we could probably help with an attempt to obtain a "relic" for the also desired DogMan card (we wouldn't want these cards to not be "hits," would we?) but I can't guarantee DogMan can sign anything, a seemingly simple skill that becomes quite difficult deep into a 30 pack of Dad beer and results might start looking like modern day athlete Sharpie scrawls except even more flatlined and illegibly wavy simultaneously so, hey, maybe we can make an event-found auto relic version, too. BYOB, too though, sorry, not sorry. Ain't a lot of money in Backwoods. We could however bust out the glow-in-the-dark spray paint can if you ask nicely, so the cool trading card will also glow-in-the-dark, if you spend the big bucks on the relic version anyway.

Jafronius said...

Last year's A&G came up amongst Walmart's discounted blasters, priced at $17 if that would mean anything to you. I keep hoping Target would get these discounted blasters.