I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, October 22, 2007

The Allen Ginter Project: Card #6 - N8 Fish From American Waters


Part of my Allen & Ginter type set madness (see here for explanation) will be posting each card as it arrives until I either finish the set or give up due to frustration. I'll post the first five retroactively, but since this one came in today I'll do it first. I got this card from the same place I got my first one, As Time Goes By Collectibles. Winning bid was $9.25, so I picked this up for less than the price of two hobby packs of A&G. The card is one of the more attractive ones in the set. You can't really tell from the scan, but the scales are printed in metallic silver ink which really makes this sucker look like a real fish. The bulk of the reverse shows a checklist of all the different fish in the set.



One thing I'd like to do with this is not only get a type set, but to get cards that have some sort of meaning with me. Yeah I know, it's bad enough I'm doing something crazy difficult like this, but I have to make it complicated too. Some of my choices will be obvious. I live in Georgia, so I'd like a Georgia state flag for my N11 card. I'd like a Brown Thrasher card from the Song Birds set to honor my favorite hockey team. This obviously won't happen for all the cards. I'll be lucky to find any cards from some of the more obscure sets. Other sets don't have any favorites that pop out at me at first glance. The fish set was one of these, I'm not all that interested in fish unless they are on a plate. If there was a Rock Lobster card, the choice would have been easy. Herring could have worked, but then I would have tried to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with it and that would really screw up the condition. I checked out the auction listings from As Time Goes By a couple of weeks ago and it finally hit me when I saw this card listed. What better fish for my collection than the one from Wheel of Fish?



Red Snapper... mmmmmmm very tasty! I made the right choice on this one and I will absolutely not trade it for what's under the box.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dayf, you are my hero for the UHF reference.

You found the marble in the oatmeal! You get to drink from...the FIRE HOSE!

-Kevin

Anonymous said...

One of the things I like about your blog is that you will see angles and perspectives that I would never have thought of. Keep it up.

If you start selecting the cards you collect by the patterns of the leaves on the grass though I will start to worry about ya. Keep it up.