I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, July 23, 2007

Card of the Week 7/23

This week's Card of the Week illustrates exactly why I haven't posted much this week. Or commented on any of the other card blogs. Or finished my article for Cardboard News (sorry Andrew). Or pretty much been online at all. Yes, I've been reading Harry Potter for the past week. I know, I know. What am I doing reading that kid stuff? Here's my story.

I used to travel cross country pretty much every week for work. In Chicago one week, off to Salt Lake the next, then hop on a plane to Newark. I got in the habit of reading on the plane. Well, at least when I didn't get upgraded to first class. It's hard to read after your 8th complimentary scotch on the rocks. I mostly read sci-fi/fantasy stuff like Vonnegut, Pratchett and Asimov, with the occasional baseball book mixed in for good measure. One day I was running late for my flight to Denver and left my book on the passenger seat of my car. It was either Childhood's End by Clarke or one of the Foundation trilogy, I can't remember which. I was already in the terminal with only a couple of minutes before the plane boarded when I remembered where my entertainment for the next four hours was located. I had no time to go back and get it and even going one terminal over to the good bookstore would probably make me late for my flight. The only option I had if I wanted a book to read was a dinky little newsstand kiosk whose only options were - and I am not kidding - Harry Potter and Danielle Steel.

Danielle Steel wasn't gonna happen so I reluctantly bought the overhyped kids book. Ya know what? It was good. DAMN good. So I bought the second book. It was better. So I bought the third. I got hooked. Addicted to literary crack. And believe me, I know of what I speak. I finally went cold turkey on Stephen King after reading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and I was hopelessly addicted to King. Have you ever read It cover to cover in less than 48 hours? I have. TWICE. So ever since I left that book on the passenger seat in a rush, I've been buying the books opening night and going to the book release parties and such. Don't worry, I don't go dressed as Hagrid or anything, although I kind of look like him if I go a few months without a haircut.

So I avoided the internet for three days fearing spoilers, remained offline for two more while I read the book and took one more day to catch up on my sleep. Let me tell you it was worth it. Anyone worried that JK would screw this up need no longer worry. It's a fine ending to a fine series and anyone who likes fantasy novels won't be disappointed with this one. Plus as an added bonus, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows is probably the best Cliffs Notes (SparkNotes for you whippersnappers) version of Lord of the Rings I've ever seen. So to commemorate the end of the series (holy crap, does this mean I have to read Danielle Steel now??) The Card of the Week is the Gryffindor Quiddich Team from an old Sorcerer's Stone movie card set I don't know the name or manufacturer of. I wonder where they would have placed on Ben's team card tournament?


The other reason I haven't been paying much attention to sports lately is that I'm a Falcon fan and quite frankly, this has been a REALLY lousy week. A certain subset of Atlanta sports fans have been generally *ahem* less than kind toward ol' #7 in the best of times and the only way the mood can get much more hostile around here is if there's a 'pep rally' on top of Stone Mountain if you catch my drift. Things are getting even worse if you can believe it; a Falcons d-back just got caught with the wacky weed. Hey dummies! Look up above at this blog's motto. Getting stopped with a few cases of Sweet Spot Classic in the Escalade will not get you a meeting in the commissioner's office. You're cashing an NFL paycheck so you can actually afford the stuff. Oh well, there's nothing left to be done about it, at least until Michael Vick can

Heh. I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. Ok, I've got the Deathly Hallows out of my system now, back to sports cards, I promise. Well, almost. I'll leave you with just one spoiler if I may. Just look down in the comments section if you want a tidbit from the new book.

DON'T CLICK ON THE COMMENTS IF YOU DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!

1 comment:

dayf said...

Quit reading you fool! This is a SPOILER!!!

Ok, don't say I didn't warn you....




One of the characters on this card DIES in book seven! It pissed me the hell off, too.

No, I'm not telling you which one. Read the book, slacker. Or at least Wikipedia.