I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Card Of the Week 1/01/08

I'm listening to the Bulldogs kick the living crap out of Hawaii at the Sugar Bowl so I'm in a real football mood for Card of the Week. Events this past weekend kind of demand the selection of this week's subject for the honor. Of course I'm talking about Tom Brady. Tom led his team to the highest heights, the most lofty achievement in all of Footballdom... What? No, screw the perfect season, I'm talking about my Fantasy Football Championship! That's right, the league I've been in since the mid-90's finished with me on top with a 13-4 record mostly because I picked Tom in the 4th round. I actually started off 9-0 but I hit a bad patch when Brady had his bye week and came pretty close to having a Mets Choke before pulling out of my tailspin the last couple weeks of the season. Ok, ok. You don't care about my fantasy geekery, you wanna see a card. Well here is that card:

Pretty freakin' sweet isn't it? This is a 2002 Topps Heritage autograph card featuring the 1957 Topps design. I pulled this out of a pack and didn't didn't even notice that it was an auto until I flipped it over. I was reading the cartoon and then I saw a sticker covering up the caption next to the drawing of Tom playing catcher. I looked at the front, saw the auto and then carefully put it in the first top loader I could reach. Then I went and changed my underwear.

I have had insane luck pulling sweet Tom Brady cards. Back in 2000, when I was frantically ripping packs looking for Chad Pennington, Ron Dayne and Peter Warrick, I kept pulling this scrub QB from Michigan. The guy was picked by the Patriots for Pete's sake, he won't get to play with Drew Bledsoe there! Plus they picked Michael Bishop the year before... he'll never get a chance. Well, I was wrong and now I'm glad I pulled the scrub. It's not just rookies either, I have a bunch of Brady relics pulled out of packs including a weird one with a piece of the goalposts from a Super Bowl. Thing is, I completely forgot I even had this card until a week or so ago when I was looking through a football box for a card to post on the blog. It's kind of sad that I'm so disorganized that I don't even know I have a card like this. I know it now though and it's inspired me on a project for 2008 that you'll find out about soon. This isn't my only treasure that came from Tom Brady - check this out, the Championship Trophy of the Governor's Football League:
Straight from the 80% off bin at Hobby Lobby...

Complete with a missing part...

Containing sharp metal edges which can cut very easily...

Having a broken face mask...

With a clearance price sticker of $3.19 still attached to the bottom...

I bring you what the owners of the GFL play for...

The Coveted Ceramic Object!

And it's mine baby... All MINE... At least until El Chupacabras defend their championship next year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Dawgs! What a boring game! I believe many football games have been played in the time it took the third quarter to be played tonight. A USC-UGA match-up would have been much better for both teams.

I'm mailing those packs tomorrow. Where do I need to send them? Thanks

Andrew Harner said...

I like the Brady card, but otherwise don't care about the pats/Brady.