I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, January 7, 2008

Card Of the Week 1/07/08

Ok, this Card of the Week is probably the most complicated one yet (on several levels) and I have to get around to explaining it in a sort of winding circuitous fashion or none of this will make any sense.

So, a couple months ago I was looking for cards to post in honor of the 2007 award winners. The Rookies of the Year were announced first and I remembered in the back of my mind that I had a really cool card of one of them. This one in fact:

Back in 2004 I got a pack of Donruss Elite Extra on a whim and I pulled this no-name draft pick auto. I didn't know who the heck he was at the time, but the name stuck in my head and when he won the ROY award and found him in my autograph box and scanned and posted. Pretty nifty. In fact I had a neat card for each of the award winners including a CC Sabathia at least one other blogger is desperate for and two of the ugliest A-Rods you will ever see. When it came to Jake Peavy though, I couldn't think of a good card for him. I had no relics cards of him and his Topps Rookie is a Tri-card which I didn't really want to post. I finally decided on his Bowman Heritage rookie:


Ok, it's all right. It's a good picture, it's a true rookie (although for some reason it's missing the "first Bowman card" logo) but it's from that ugly 1948 black and white tribute set. Oh well. I didn't think much about it until I was looking through the auto box again a couple weeks later and found this:

What the heck?!? I had a Jake Peavy AUTOGRAPH and I didn't even know it? After thinking about it a moment I actually wasn't that surprised, because about 6 years ago I bought a blowout auction of about 75-80 autograph cards. There was a Jeter and a couple of other stars in it and most of the rest were minor league autos. Peavy just happened to be one of them and I forgot about it. Ok, so I'm forgetful. I got a lot of cards, it happens. Then a month later, I was looking through my football collection for a card for my Christmas post. You'll recognize it as last week's Card of the Week.

Yep. Another autograph card. Of a superduperstar. In a box full of football commons. I was completely oblivious to the existence of this card until I looked for something to fill a joke post. Damn, I'm disorganized. I started thinking that I really needed to get at least all my autographs inventoried so I know what in the world I have. About the same time this happened I got a package in the mail from Chris Harris of Stale Gum. We swapped a bunch of Allen & Ginter and Goudeys and random stuff and included in the package was this... thing:


Yeah, that's what I thought. Double You Tee Eff. A classic draft pick card of Mike Kelly... with what appears to be an autograph on it... numbered one of one of all things... on... what is that... an Avery label?! I stared at it for a moment while my brain tried to process this utterly bizarre object. I had almost convinced myself that it was Classic after all, I could kinda see them doing Avery label sticker auto one of ones, when I flipped it over.

Awwwww Yeeeeeeah..... Fucking GENIUS. I got a great laugh out of that and thought it was the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. That card deserved a post. A post of Extra-Ordinary Magnitude. Chris has our Gratitude. I resolved to do it, but procrastinated and got beat to the punch. As I was thinking about my autograph organization dilemma and my desire to put this cool card in a place of honor, it occurred to me that I could get a list of what I had online and could share it with the rest of you by simply creating another blog.

WHOA, WAIT, HOLD ON, BACK UP BUCKAROO.

Another freaking blog? Don't I have enough blogs? I'm so far behind in everything already and now I'm going to start ANOTHER blog? Well, yeah, why not? I'm gonna post one autograph a day, I'm not going to write a novel about each one, and by the end of the year I'll have a pretty good list of what I have. Plus I can show them all off which is the fun part. So why do this now, when I'm admittedly swamped with other stuff? Two of my 2008 goals are to get my crap organized and to not save ideas for blog posts for months. This fits both those goals. And Chris gets honored with the first post. What's the problem?

So there you have it folks, a brand new blog guaranteed to be updated once a day, an honor for one of the best card bloggers out there with the first post and Jake Peavy gets to be card of the week with his 2001 Royal Rookies High Yield autograph. That's right, Jake not Chris. I just honored Chris with a blog he indirectly caused into being, I don't want to give him a big ego by making him card of the week too.

6 comments:

Chris Harris said...

And I will personally mail their own Chris Harris 1/1 autograph, to anyone who can spot the grammatical error on the reverse-side label.

--David said...

I'm voting for "to bring to closer to"... What a brilliant joke to pull! I spent a good bit of wasted time trying to figure out the auto in the scan, only to find I, too, was duped... SWEETNESS!

Steve Gierman said...

I loved my Chris Harris 1/1 auto, including the grammatical error on the back. That just makes it even more special.

dayf said...

If Chris takes the time to fix it, we'll all officially have error cards.

Russ said...

I seriously wish I had thought of that. That's good brain work. I wonder if I can get a machine to make my own chrome cards...hmmm....

Steve Gierman said...

Chris Harris 1/1 error cards! Very cool!!