I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Friday, July 26, 2013

Building a set: 1989 Topps Ghostbusters 2 - Pack 5

I've been busy this week and I'm gonna be REALLY busy next week so I better get a pack post up while I can. If you like this 'build a set' nonsense let me know because I found another box that would be good for this. Gotta finish this one first though and as you can see my luck finally ran out.


As you can see, I pulled the first double from the packs. As you can also see, the gum does a real number on the backs of these cards. So this is the back of the cards. Yep, that dumb Peace Ghost logo takes up 2/3rds of the real estate on the back.


Double #2. Text on the backs have the card title, a brief synopsis of the action followed by ellipses... and then CONTINUED ON NEXT EXCITING CARD! It still amuses me greatly how Janine really really wants to get clueless Louis in the sack.

card #9

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DAMN KIDS IN THIS MOVIE. AND WHY ARE THEY ALL BORED. This is early on in the film when everyone's broke and useless. Winston's in it just to make a buck but Ray looks like he really digs this gig.

card #45
This is kind of a lame shot to earn a SFX card but whatever. If I remember the gag c orrectly it went something like: Snooty clerk: "Can you get are really expensive crystal down please?" Egon: "Sure, no problem" (presses button) (crash)

sticker #10
Dana sneaks into the group shot. At least that damn baby isn't there. Oscar better not get a sticker.

card #73
You seriously had to be there to understand how cool the Statue of Liberty was in the late '80s. But 'Libby'? Seriously?

Card #3
The card title is a mistprint. It should say Dan Akroyd is Adorable. Don'tcha wanna just pinch those cheeks.

card #79
Stantz gets high on Mood Slime. I'm not sure what the big deal is here though. Since unless you drown in it the worst slime can do to you is make you cranky there's not much to survive there. It's not like he got zorched by a proton pack.

card #82
Ok, rant time.

I'm on record as saying I like this movie but admit it's very flawed. There's a lot to like about the film such as Janosz being sleazy and Louis suddenly becoming an alpha male and the few times where ghosts are actually busted, but when it goes wrong, boy does it go wrong. So by the end of the flick I was somewhat conflicted about the whole thing. Yeah there was a LOT of cheese and some flat out stupidity but the busters saved the day and zapped Vigo and Janosz hrew out one of my favorite lines in film history and I was feeling ok about everything and then... this thing happened.

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of dumb things.

One minute there's Vigo's horcrux painting with Viggs looking all menacing and badass and one slime later we have half naked Ghostbusters painted by the guy who does the murals at O'Charlie's all looking stupid as they huddle around that damnable baby. ARGH. I hate this scene. This scene makes me cringe. And since it's one of the last things in the movie, this is the image that remains in your mind after watching. This right here is the jump the shark moment for this film, the point in which Ghostbusters 2 went from "ok that was stupid but pretty good" to "ok that was stupid". Such a shame too seeing how Ghostbusters 3 vanished into the ether.

Set completion: 38/88 43.1%
Sticker set completion: 4/11 36.4%
Doubles: 2
Sticker doubles: 1
Cards needed in the pack: 7
Number of cards needed for the set: 50
Number of cards left in the packs: 80

1 comment:

Todd Uncommon said...

Those...those...damn...tanks of corn syrup...ahhhhhhhhhhh...