I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Six Years

...I've been doing this. I don't know if I'll make seven. I don't know if I'll get out of bed tomorrow. Honestly this has been a wasted year and I've been some combination of wiped out, sick and depressed for the past four months now. I got a whole big box of cards to scan and post and I JUST DON WANNA DO IT. Maybe the new year will rejuvenate me, maybe it won't. Whatever the case I want to finish just one friggin thing this year if at all possible. Here's the last five cards I got from the May vintage show and never posted. Maybe the last cards from the last show I go to. Pissiness aside, here ya go.


Have a 1949 Bowman Jeff Heath card. Anything before 1950 is relatively difficult to find and this fills out one of the many holes in my vintage Braves team binder. I love the red and blue colors on this card but what is up with the smirk on this dude's face? It looks like he's getting a beej while posing for the photo or something.


1962 Topps Gaylord (snicker) Perry rookie card. While everyone's all in a tizzy about how every single born after this card was printed was a bunch of juiced up cheaters, Mr. Lord took used some different juice to get into the hall. *ptui* This HOF rookie cost me all of five bucks.


First draft of this was deleted for being over the top. The card speaks for itself. There's a reason this is my second-favorite card from the Mars Attacks set.


1971 Thurman Munson! One of the most iconic cards of all time! A card that intimidated me for years and prevented me from collecting the '71 Topps set! Got it for less than a blaster. Haven't bought much vintage since. Still afraid of iconic cards I can get for like, ten bucks online if I just put some effort into it. This is how far I've fallen collecting wise.


The big mamma jamma. Phil Niekro Rookie. And Phil Roof. Fun story: one of the first cards I ever owned was a 1971 Phil Roof that was way miscut that I got out of a junk box when I was about 8 or 9 for a penny. This is the last card I picked out from my last card show. Might be some symmetry there. Maybe not. It's the rookie card of my favorite player when I was a kid so if I do end up riding off into the sunset I'm at least ending on a high note.

Here's to 2013, it can't possibly suck as bad as 2012!

9 comments:

Fuji said...

Sorry 2012 sucked... it was a rough one for me too. Hopefully things turn around for both of us in 2013.

Love those vintage beauties... especially the Perry rookie. Here's to a safe and positive New Year!

Captain Canuck said...

cool pick ups.

and I got that package you sent me on the 24th. Thanks again pal.

merry ho ho.

Doc said...

No mas ponies? Nooooooo!

CaptKirk42 said...

Cool cards. Wait like Doc said No Ponies? Ponies will cheer you up you need more ponies.

I saw the pic this link goes to on facebook the other day. It should cheer you up buckaroo http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz74lt1cMM1r744rto1_500.jpg

Jeremy said...

I hope you'll stay around. Yours is one of my favorite blogs. I know that the hobby(and blogging) will still be around if you feel like picking it up again though.

Napkin Doon said...

That........... was depressing.

Dhoff said...

Don't go, man. Who will delight us with pissy vintage and Heath beej?

That Mars Attacks card is a work of art. I've recommended this to Heartbreaking Cards before, and maybe you'd be interested, too. Jim Shepard wrote an amazing story told through Mars Attacks cards in his collection BATTING AGAINST CASTRO. It's a killer read.

dayf said...

The same fuckin day I write a depressing post about how I hate cards and Imma raegquit teh hobbie the really really awesome seller that is responsible for a large chunk of my collection sent me an e-mail that he will be at the flea market this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2D-tlsnk4fs#t=73s

Play at the Plate said...

I think we caught the same funk in 2012. Here's to getting over that. Sweet Munson...best of luck in 2013.