I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Procrastination

OK, ok, I admit it, I haven't filled out my All Star Ballot yet. I'll get to it, I promise! Besides, the voting doesn't look good for my Braves anyway, what with Chipper covered in boo-boos, Andruw under the Mendoza line and Smoltzie lobbing grenades about the clubhouse.

To help me continue to avoid doing my civic duty (seriously though, have you tried going on mlb.com using dialup? Even if I started loading the page now, the voting would be over by the time all the video finished downloading) I will instead fill out my ballot for the All Star Baseball Card All Stars. My ballot only has players from 1958-1983, mainly because I also procrastinated on getting this post ready and I don't have time to scrounge through 25 more years of sets in my collection looking for All Star cards. In the time honored MLB spirit of fairness, I'll also try to vote for at least one card from each year with an All Star subset so everyone gets represented. Well all of them except 1961, 'cause I don't have any 1961 All Stars. Stupid expensive high series.

We'll start off with the Skippers:



The Old Perfessor manages the American League, while the Nationals are led by a man who got fired by the Braves for having the nerve to lose to the Dodgers in a three game playoff in 1959. After finishing in first place for three straight years. Yes, the same Braves that didn't win another playoff game for 32 years.

NL Catcher: 1960 Del Crandall



What? Not Johnny Bench, you say? Well this is my ballot and I can stuff it with Braves if I wish. Besides, Crandall was an 8 time All Star with 4 Gold Gloves, not too shabby. Besides, Del has something Johnny doesn't:



A Jack Davis illustration on the back of his card! That beats the hell out of the Baseball Bunch any day.

AL Catcher: 1979 Carlton Fisk



Pudge! This was the easiest decision on the AL side. Especially since Yogi doean't have an All star card.

Honorable Mentions:
1962 Johhny Roseboro
1958 Sherm Lollar

Up next: Middle infielders

No comments: