I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, May 7, 2012

Things Found While Looking For Other Things

Nachos Grande recently wrote a post about card collector organizational types. I am definitely a Type 3. Other than my Braves, vintage, A&G and Heritage binders, I have no clue where anything else is located in my house. Or even if it is located in my house. I don't think I've seen my 1995 Topps set since the late '90s. If you follow my Twitter feed, you'll know I had a small freakout trying to find some stuff Sunday night. I offered some 2001 Pacific football cards to Thorzul a while back and finally found these for him:


Before I found those cards, I looked through 80% of the card boxes in this house trying to find my stupid 2001 football cards. It was Vick's rookie year, I know I bought at least some of the damn things. When you have 5 boxes of cards, looking through 80% of your boxes is a relaxing afternoon. When you're a full fledged pathological cardboard hoarder, it's a tad more stressful. I managed to find full boxes of neatly sorted and organized football cards from 1999, 2000 and 2002 but no 2001. The absolute cruelest trick my collection played on my is when I found the 2001 Pacific baseball cards. I eventually found a small box of football stuff hidden away with about 100 Pacific football cards in them and I was able to pick out the 9 above. I also found a few other neat things last night I thought I'd share.


Found in the same box as the '01 Pacific, here's a 2001 Fleer Tradition Rookie Retro thread card of Santana Moss. I desperately wanted the Vick in 2001, but I pulled Moss out of a pack instead. So it is Santana Moss, and the swatch is from the jersey he wore in the Rookie Photo shoot, but it's still a very nicely designed card. I wouldn't mind seeing a base set that looked like this. Oh wait, that's 1962 Topps Football, actually.


I have a special binder full of nothing but non-sports cards I like. Unless it's a vintage card I will only put one card per set in the binder so it doesn't fill up to quickly. I think this will end up being the representative from the '89 Topps Batman set. The man directed Pee-Wee's Big Adventure! Believe it or not, this was not the best non-sports card I found.


This shiny 2000 Leaf Certified Mirror Red Junior Seau was mixed in a box full of oddball football inserts. Considering I wasted a good 20 minutes looking for a Seau card for my sadness post the other day, I was a little miffed to find the best Junior Seau card I could possibly have two days later. I could probably capitalize on tragedy and sell it, but while I am not opposed to liquidating my football collection I'd still want to keep this one. Because shiny. All you Check Out My Cards veterans out there need to give me a boot cam on dumping old '90s inserts online one of these days.


Ok, here's the badass non-sports card. I don't even need to say anything about this one. Just gaze in jealousy. The bestest thing I found was...


Three Mint In Package puffy refrigerator magnets of Cartoon Network shows inserted in boxes of Pop-Tarts in the early '00s. Cinnamon Pop-Tarts and a Diet Coke was my breakfast of choice back then and I really really like cartoons so I ate a lot of Pop-Tarts while this promotion was going. I think this is a complete set, but there may be a fourth cartoon I'm forgetting. I really wanted the Dexter magnet but ended up with about 5 Courage the Cowardly Dog magnets before finally landing the Dexter. Nowadays I am unabashedly proud of my Powerpuff Girls magnet and like that one best of all. Back off, boys!

The moral of the story: Don't promise cards unless you know where the heck they are.

3 comments:

JediJeff said...

I have a complete set, minus 3 or 4 cards, of that Pro Set music.

Anonymous said...

Dexter's Laboratory was an awesome show. I especially liked the one where they did a dead-on parody of Speed Racer. I nearly fell off the couch from laughing.

Every now and then, I get the urge to laugh like Mandark. Ha! Ha ha! Ha!

Wilson said...

There was also a Johnny Bravo magnet, which was on my fridge in college and is now on an exposed duct in my basement, along with the Dexter magnet.