I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, March 31, 2012

What have you seen today?

"Nothing good."

Ferris Bueller's Day off is one of my favorite movies. Not because of Ferris, I can't identify with him other than the fact that I had a computer before I had a car. I identify with Cameron. I worry too much. I'm too grouchy for my own good. I overthink things. I occasionally get to hang out with cool people doing cool things and I'm just lucky to be there. Heck, I'm a Detroit Red Wings fan pretty much because Cameron wore a Gordie Howe jersey in that movie.

Three scenes define that movie for me. "Ferris Bueller, you're my hero" is one of my favorite lines of all time. The baseball scenes are wonderful simply because the Cubs are playing the Braves. The best scene is the one in the museum. Ever since the first time I saw this scene it grabbed me by the throat and shook me to the core. While normal people are off snogging, Cameron and I are getting lost in a painting. Their animalistic hormonal jollies will never match the bliss of losing oneself in a masterpiece. Cameron in a Seurat. Me in a Finster. Or Dali. Or Miro.

I watched the film last night and decided to paint something for myself to take a break from the stuff I'm painting for other people. So I painted Cameron. Losing himself in that little girl's face in Seurat's painting. I'm happy with how it came out.



This was painted on a canvasy 9x12" paper for acrylic paints. Six colors were used: Black, white, blue, brown, suede and fuchsia. It was originally going to be a quick half-hour painting but took about two. A goodly amount of vodka aided the creative process. Here's the reference photo I used.


And the scene it came from.


Don't really have anything more to say, there's not much I can do to tie this into baseball, which is what this blog is supposedly about. Well, nothing other than HEEEEEEEEEY BATTER BATTER BATTER SAWIIIIIIIING BATTER HECANTHITHECANTHITHECANTHIT SAWIIING BATTER. So relax and enjoy the arts. I'm going to the Braves' open house tomorrow so maybe you'll get some good pics by Sunday.

6 comments:

Dawgbones said...

An here I thought this blog was about Ponies!! I thought suede was a material, not a color?? (you know, the whole Blue Suede Shoes thing, I loves me some Elvis, Thanka, thanka vera much...) Nice job on the painting, I don't have that much talent. Or shall I dare say my talents lie elsewhere in the grand scheme of things...

Now SAWIINGG, Batter...

John Bateman said...

One of the 2 greatest comedies of all time in my opinion (with Something about Mary) - I am not a fan of comedies but I can watch these 2 movies any time and laugh

Potch said...

Nice work. Met that guy - and Matthew Broderick - in NYC shortly before the movie came out. They were in "Biloxi Blues" on Broadway together and I was in a high school drama touring club. They signed a Playbill for me.

And, with that, you have your useless Potch Trivia Fact of the Day.

SpastikMooss said...

Tremendous movie, tremendous scene - I fell in love with Seurat for that moment alone and I've since been to the Art Institute to see it in person (it was awesome). One of my favorite movie scenes of all time. Though Abe Froman always kills me too.

Fuji said...

Great movie... and awesome painting!

The Baseball Card Snob said...

Always loved this scene, the music is just perfect. It's amazing how music can influence a scene. BTW, the song is "Please please please let me get what I want" by The Dream Academy.