I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Friday, August 22, 2008

150 Proof Nightmare Juice

I'm not going to get to the baker's dozen card from the 1996 ACOG Olympic set tonight. I've been chilling out filling up binders with new gets, searching my doubles for stuff off of people's wantlists and I'm about to settle in on a gaming session. I do feel compelled to post at least one Olympic card tonight, so I have chosen this monstrosity:

KILL IT WITH FIRE

Actually this is a rather famous poster from the 1972 Munich Olympics and it has a very Picasso-y feel to it although I'm not sure who the artist is.You have to admit it's a perfect example of early '70s pretentious art. This is supposed to represent an aspect of the Spirit of the Games, but... I don't know man, it looks like a crazed mutant monster thingy that wants to violate me, crush my bones and eat my soul. I'm totally bewildered by what this thing is supposed to mean. Are those black splotches supposed to be a chopped up map of Europe? Why the rainbow of Olympic ring colors between the beast's ArmLegs? I guess the 1 2 3 steps are a medal podium, but it just makes me think that the Beast is about to attack a grade school.

Ugh, I can't look at this anymore. Off to play some games on my night off. Nice cards from this set will be up tomorrow, with a grand finale of 1996 Upper Deck Olympic cards to close out the Olympics on the blog.

No comments: