I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Catching up on trades - Heartbreaking team set completers

I've actually gotten a couple of packages from Heartbreaking Cards of Staggering Genius that I still haven't posted. So, what am I waiting for?

Matt sent a complete set of 1983 Topps Fold Outs still wrapped in the packages. Now I've got more action than my man John Woo and I've got mad hits like

Rod Carew! I've got a handful of these cards torn out of the foldees, but I think I'm going to keep this set intact and Mint In Package. I know what you're going to say, "But Dayf! you have to open up the packs! Cards are meant to be freeeee!" No they're not. It's fun to free them, but if I have something already encased in plastic be that a wrapper or a grading case or shrink wrap that would be better off staying in the plastic, then I leave it in the plastic. My factory set of 1994 Collector's Choice is happy in the package. There's no need at all to bust my graded Tim Couch rookie card out of its case. And there is no reason to disturb the pristine wrappers on these card when I can pick up a complete set of opened cards dirt cheap. They're not very good looking cards anyway, but the unopened packages have a certain appeal to them.

Another thing in the magic box Matt sent was a group of Michael Jordan Upper Deck Retrospective postcards. I'd never seen nor heard of the set before now, it looks pretty good. Too bad I like Michael Jordan about as much as I like cholera. I've found a good home for one of the cards, but if there is a Jordan, Bulls or North Caroline collector out there that wants these just ask. I can trade you them for some Hawks or if you're not picky about condition I'll pop a stamp on one and just mail it to you for free.

There were some other neat goodies in the box, but I'm saving them for later. Matt sent an extra package of goodies that did amazing, wonderful things... Behold:

The Last Two Cards I Needed For My 1970 Topps Braves Team Set


The Last Card I Needed For My 1973 Topps Braves Team Set


The Last Two Cards I Needed For My 1978 Topps Braves Team Set


The Last Card I Needed For My 1979 Topps Braves Team Set


One package, four team sets completed!!! Holy Crap Matt! My binder runneth over. Matt is extraordinarily generous. I have a surprise about to head his way one of these days. I just need to divvy it up between Matt and Darkship, who has also sent some amazing stuff in the past. Thanks guys!

3 comments:

Jeffrey Wolfe said...

Wait, you have an unopened set of '94 Collector's Choice!!?? That's awesome.

dayf said...

Yep, got it as a birthday gift from my dad a while back. I already had a bunch of '94 CC so I never felt the urge to open it up.

Matt Flaten said...

How did I miss this post? I'm glad you like 'em dayf! There's nothing better than finishing a set and I'm happy to help.