I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Three autos that make me :)

Dinged Corners laid down a gauntlet and I'm picking it up. Lucky for me, I have posted scans of all three already so this is a pretty easy assignment. Good thing too, because I drank a pot of coffee yesterday at about 2:00pm because I was crashing hard and didn't sleep at all last night. OW MY BRAIN.

ON CARD HAPPINESS: Part One.

OTIS MY MAN

I got this card from my grandfather. He sold a set of bunk beds to Otis Nixon's agent or laywer or coke dealer or something. The guy gave my grandfather this signed card and he gave it to me. Now, I love Otis. When I die and my life flashes before my eyes, The Catch better be in the montage somewhere or else the guy in charge of the afterlife is going to have a pissed off customer. But that's not why this card makes me happy. It makes me happy because my grandfather gave it to me.


ON CARD HAPPINESS: Part Two.

THE HAMMER


This is one of the very few in-person autos I've ever gotten. This might be the second one I got actually. The first one was an autograph from Miss Georgia Forestry 1984. I was at a Braves game, my mom saw Ted Turner in the crowd so I went chasing after him to get his autograph. He disappeared and I got the auto of some chick in a tiara as a consolation prize. This one here I got a a Falcons pre-season Fan Fest. The entire team was lined up in booths with 3 players each. Jesse Tuggle was (is) my favorite Falcon so I hopped in his line, card in hand. Jesse was the second signer in the booth and I totally blew off the first signer, whoever he was. Didn't even look at him. I handed Jesse my card, smiled, and took the card and a signed picture. Life is good. I was so star struck I don't think I noticed who the other guy was either. He wasn't as good as Tuggle, I'll tell you that!

ON CARD HAPPINESS: Part Three.

WHY THE HELL IS THIS MAN NOT IN THE HALL OF FAME EVERY SINGLE VOTER ON THE VETERAN'S COMMITTEE SHOULD GO DIE IN A FIRE GO PILE UP A THOUSAND CHRISTMAS TREES LIGHT EM UP AND JUMP RIGHT IN AND BURN BURN BURN YOU NON-VOTING FOR BUCK FOOLS


Ranting about dumb choices a biased political committee made that I have absolutely no control over makes me happy. I'm gonna have a ball this winter when they screw Marvin Miller again. This is the first (and maybe only) autograph card I've pulled from a pack of Fleer Greats. I was very happy to pull an autograph, but I didn't quite know who Buck was. I had seen Ken Burns' Baseball, but the connection didn't click at the time. I know who Buck O'Neil is now and I'm not only happy, but proud to have the signature of someone who had such an impact of the history of the game. Buck is a Hall of Famer whether anyone in Cooperstown knows it or not.

3 comments:

zman40 said...

Well said about Buck. He is legend, especially in Kansas City.

Captain Canuck said...

that pack of OPC you opened on APTBNL???

you know where to send them.... pretty please...

Dinged Corners said...

The Buck card is beautiful; the unsteady signature priceless. Wow, one of the best ever.