I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Card Show Top 20 - #6 Original Frank

I just got my little green postcard in the mail signifying an impending Sports Memories show in the ATL. Good Lord, it's this weekend! I need to sell off some plasma! Harvest my other kidney! Go to the sperm bank and see how much they'll pay me not to! Vintage cards await!

As excited as I am, this does mean that in a week I'll have a big pile of new goodies to post about... WHEN I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED THE POSTS FROM THE LAST SHOW. Yes, I am a complete slacker, but this one here's not my fault. Blogger ate my post a few weeks ago when the whole shebang went all kafloozle. Left me nothing but a title, two images and the countdown list. I just haven't had the heart to re-write everything. Not that I had written a whole lot, but it's the principle of the thing.

Looks like if I'm gonna post anything at all, ever, I better do it quick before the new backlog of posts hit. So here's the half-assedly rewritten post of the #6 top card I got at the FCB card show - what was it - four months ago now?

Frank Thomas

No , not that one. The original one.


1958 Topps Frank Thomas card signed by the Real McCoy. Guess where I got this sucker. Go ahead, guess. I've written enough about them in this series. Oh wait - I posted those like two months ago. Damn I'm slack! Ok, remember the utterly ridiculous dollar box with the insane old oddball stuff in it? No? Well click on the links then. I'll wait. Remember now? YEAH IT WAS FROM THAT BOX! No, really! Random autographs of players from the 50's in a dollar box! Complete madness! Mild delirium at least. Not that crazy at all actually. Dollar autographs are a dime a dozen. Sure you can find autographs for a buck a lot more frequently nowadays, but what the heck, I like it. I might have paid a buck just for the '58 card in another dollar box.


I don't really want to rewrite all the biographical stuff about Frank I had in the last post, so just read this well done page instead. I know, yellow text on a purple background. It's worth it. Or you can go straight to the horse's mouth and check out The Original Frank's very own corner of the internet. He's got a blog and everything! He also collects cards, anyone have any 1952 Topps high numbers lying around that they can trade him? Or you could just request an autograph in exchange for a charity donation, which may very well be where this here card came from.

Ok, so it's not officially certified by Topps or Upper Deck or PSA or whoever. A quick search of autograph pics show it looks good enough for government work.  Besides, do you really trust all the 'official' 'certified' ''sources'' for autographs what with all the shenanigans that have been going on in this hobby? I bet some of you Joe Collectors out there would trust it if a company chopped the card all to hell and pasted the sig inside a terrible cut auto insert card, wouldn't you. And then maybe encase that abomination inside a BGS holder? That'll never happen on my watch! You crummy card companies won't chop up this card for a gimmick! No way! I might have to put this card in with my other set '58s to hide it from the gimmick choppers. Don't worry, '58 Frank. I'll protect you from this dystopian hobby.

The Top 20 List:

#20 Reds' Heavy Artillery
#19 Blue MadDog
#18 Lil' Jimmy
#17 Real Fake '52
#16 First Topps
#15 Bogus Boog
#14 V103 Tree
#13 Sertoma Rico
#12 '55 Finishers
#11 Hey Shiny
#10 What the Dickens
#9 '60 Spahnnie
#8 Lonely '53
#7 Super Chief
#6 Original Frank
#5 Hoops Inspiration
#4 Rocket Robin
#3 Wizard Off Kilter
#2 Shenanigans Were Called
#1 The Holy Grail of Commons

Can I finish this series this week before the show? Stay tuned and find out!

1 comment:

carlsonjok said...

Roger Neufeldt from Sports Memories is a great guy. I've bought from him a couple times. I live in the same town as he does and he has offered to let me come to his warehouse to buy cards. But, I just don't have the heart to ask a guy who sells cards worth thousands of dollars each to sit around while I paw through late 1970s commons.