I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, June 16, 2011

June Vintage Show Top Ten #10

Yep, going to do another countdown from a card show. I'm not going to drag this one out forever though. I'm going to have every post written in 15 minutes or else you'll get a half-written post. #10 is a favorite player from a favorite set with a special bonus.

1972 Topps #436 Reggie Jackson In Action


1972 Topps is my ether, and there is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. I binged a little last weekend with some Reggie Jax. There were quite a few In Action cards of some pretty high rollers in the bargain box including such legends as Seaver, Clemente and Killebrew. I settled in on Reggie because, well, I like me some Reggie, and also because there are special  subjects on the back of the In Action cards. Here's the back of this one:


FREE HANK WITH REGGIE! One of the special back subsets were faux newspaper clipping highlights from the previous season. On April 27th, 1971 Hank bopped one off of fellow future Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry to join Willie and the Babe as the only players with 600 homers. I'm also impressed with the Atlanta Journal masthead on the top of the card. Topps got the font right and everything, something they haven't been able to do much lately. I'm in somewhat of a quandary now though... does this go in the 1972 Topps binder or the '72 Topps Braves Team set?

No comments: