I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, October 15, 2007

Card of the Day

Nope, not card of the week, card of the day. I logged into blogger to start posting, and the news item on the blog screen was all about Blog Action Day. A bunch of blogs are posting today to promote environmental awareness. I have no problem with jumping along for the ride on special internet holidays so I decided to do my part. All I have to do is write a post relating to the environment and donate my advertising revenue to an environmental charity of my choice. I don't have advertisements on my blog, so I can promise all revenue to whoever wants it. Problem is, I write about a somewhat non-environmentally friendly hobby. I'm sure your vintage collection with all those Mantle rookies your mom threw in the landfill is biodegrading nicely, but early nineties Upper Deck (not to mention Collector's Edge) might be cluttering up the planet for millenia to come. The box blaster I just opened had way more cardboard in the box than in the actual cards. The best possible environmental advice I could give for card collectors is not to buy the blister packs that only have one pack in them.

I would like to post a card of Al Gore since he's a fairly hot topic right now, but I don't think he's got a card. He was a little late to get in any of the Desert Storm sets and I doubt he made it in the the Enduring Freedom packs that were rushed out in early 2002. He just missed being in the myriad of President insert sets that have come out recently. Topps refuses to take my suggestion for a Vice President set to break up the monotony. I'm worried I may never get that dream Rufus King rookie card for my collection. I have no Gore card, but I do have a bunch of Lord of the Rings cards. Obviously the perfect substitution for Al Gore would be an Ent. Wise and woody, hoom haroom. I looked through my cards and I've got tons of orcs, a few hobbits and maybe an elf or two, but no ents. I did find this:

OK, so it's a little heavy handed. So is Tolkein's treatment of the whole Saruman/Sharkey storyline. It's not really all that difficult to be a little friendlier to the environment anyways. Turn off that light. Don't leave the water running. Keep the car running properly to get better gas mileage. Don't throw your trash all over the place. Reuse and recycle stuff every once in a while. Just don't over do it. If you find yourself trying to sink a whaling ship, you've gone too far. Eat some sustainable seafood instead.

Preachy day on Cardboard Junkie is over, I'll be back with more fun stuff tomorrow. This has at least bought me some time to work on some cool things I have in store for you guys.

1 comment:

--David said...

When you mentioned Gore, I was expecting to see a send-up of a 2008 A&G. I must admit, seeing a LOTR card featuring burning trees is a great alternative... :-)