I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

One for the Reds fans


I'm in a good mood today so here's a card of Griffey hitting an RBI double off of either Jason Shiell or Tyler Yates on August 5, 2006. How do I know this? That's Marcus Giles manning second base for the Bravos. The patch on his uniform was worn in 2006 to commemorate the Braves' 40th anniversary in Atlanta. The Braves are in away uniforms and only made one trip to Cincinnati in '06, from August 4th to the 6th. Griffey hit not one but two doubles in the game on the 5th, the only one where he got a two-bagger in the series. I can't tell from the play by play which one was the stand up double, but it doesn't matter as both drove in a run apiece and the Braves lost by 2 runs, 6-8. Griffey wasn't the only one on the card to knock in some runs, Giles hit a two run homer out of the Great American Ballpark that day. Before a certain blogger gets cocky, the Braves came back to win the next day to both avoid a sweep and win the season series 4-3. Griffey still battered the Braves that year, hitting .304 with 4 RBIs, 5 runs scored and a homer off of Smoltzie.

4 comments:

Bay Rat North West said...

I had a word with the guys at OMGreds and they will keep the cockiness to a minimum.
Nice card. Those paintings are great on cards.

Dan said...

After the last 4 games... we don't have much to be cocky about.

Agreed - that's a purty card.

Kevin said...

Nice to see a baseball card featuring the events of my 24th birthday. Griffey was one of my favorites growing up, and I was surprised to learn that my roommate hated him as a kid. It seems to have had a lot to do with Junior killing his Yankees during those years. But that's what he gets for being a Yanks fan, says I.

Anonymous said...

That is a sweet looking card. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in Cincinnati so Reds cards weren't so expensive.