I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

SP Rookie Weirdness

I just ripped a pack of this stuff at A Pack A Day and I don't want to repeat myself, but this pack is too strange to ignore. 2007 Upper Deck SP Rookie Edition is a somewhat mediocre product from last year, but the new stuff that's out now is all pretty overpriced so it looks better in comparison. Would you rather pay $5 for a pack of SP with 4 rookies in it or $8 for a pack of spectrum and get a drummer's autograph? I know I shouldn't buy either but I was bored and killing time in the shop so why not buy a pack for the entertainment value of window shopping for over a half hour.

The breakdown of the set is 4 base veterans per pack, two base rookie logo cards and two retro rookie cards. The base cards are your typical boring 100 more or less star cards you see in every set. The rookie base cards are foil nightmare versions of the base cards and the retro cards copy the 1993-1996 set designs. I got a Dice-K rookie in the first pack so I gambled on a second. Here's what I got:

Base cards:
Gil Meche
Mariano Rivera
Johnny Damon
Stephen Drew

All together now: YAWN. These are as useless as Bowman red bordered cards. Now to the rookies.

Gustavo Molina rookie base card
A rookie catcher for the White Sox. I'll probably end up sending this to Steve at some point. Now for the other three:

Josh Hamilton rookie base card


Josh Hamilton '95 retro card


Josh Hamilton '96 retro card

What are the odds of that? None of them are short printed, but come on. Maybe all these Reds cards will bring Joe out of hiding. That's not the really spooky part though...

When I bought the pack.....

I paid for it with..........

a TEN dollar bill........................

and on the ten dollar bill......................................

is...................................................................................

Alexander
HAMILTON

that's some serious Twilight Zone stuff going on right there! Baseball cards aren't supposed to weird me out like this, man! I need to stick to nice boring Heritage.

3 comments:

Dinged Corners said...

We may have to call the authorities. I'm not sure scanning Hamiltons is legal.

Anonymous said...

Wild Wacky Stuff.

I don't remember ever coming across a pack with three different cards of the same player in it before.

Anonymous said...

I would love that pack. I still don't understand how his '07 cards are called "rookie cards" when he was on cardboard way back in what, '99? But oh well.