I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, September 29, 2011

1953 Topps Cartoon - #3

Thank goodness I don't have to hear everyone kvetching about a first round playoff exit again this year. Go BRAV^YES!


Billy Hitchcock was the Braves manager for about a year or so in the late '60s. The Opelika, Alabama native did a whole bunch of stuff in the sports world other than managing the Braves but this is a post about cartoons, not about Alabama sports heroes. Here's the 'toon.


What in baseball slang, is a 'monkey suit'?

˙ɯɹoɟıun ןןɐqǝsɐq ɐ :˙suɐ

Guys.


Guys.


Hey guys.


A monkey.


In a Dodger uniform.


GUYS.


A MONKEY.


IN A DODGER UNIFORM.


Ohmygosh guys.


Guys!


IT'S A MONKEY.


IN A DODGER UNIFORM.


GUYS.

Upon further review, FUCK EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS. Godammit, 1950's Topps cartoonist, why couldn't you have put the monkey in pinstripes. You've ruined the joy of monkeys for me now.


And before you tell me that no one calls a baseball uniform a monkey suit, remember this is from 1953. that's like, a hundred years ago. No one says "Lay your peepers on the cool threads on that hepcat, Dad-dad-daddy-o!" anymore either. Well, I might occasionally. But I'm not normal.

2 comments:

Chris Harris said...

A monkey in the uniform of the club that had, by far, the most African-American, errr..., "Negro" players in 1953.

Latent racism, anyone?

dayf said...

I didn't even think of that angle and now I'm sad.