I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Why do 23 of you not want me to listen to beautiful music?

Seriously, I ask for help deciding between some CDs and 23 of you want me to listen to nothing. I know I have eclectic tastes in music, but sheesh. Well, I went back and got a CD anyway so ppphhbbbbbbt.

The winner of the poll was Radiohead's OK Computer and I certainly can't argue with that. That CD is utterly fantastic and has three songs that continually jockey to be my favorite Radiohead song. (The current song atop the leaderboard is this one) I didn't get that CD though. Why not? Two reasons ultimately influenced my decision. First, this is the most 'mainstream' band on the list (probably why it won in a romp) and I'm sure I'll eventually be able to find it again if someone snatches it up. Second, a small part of me wants to wait and just buy the box set and get 'em all in one fell swoop. Yeah, I know I can go to Pirate Bay and get 'em all in one fell swoop if I wanted to, but I like holding CDs in my hand, ya know? Here are the other CDs that didn't make the cut:

Kraftwerk - The Mix



This turned out to be a remix CD of Kraftwerk's stuff. You can hear a taste of his above. Yyyyyeah... not what someone who likes the original German version of Die Roboter best is looking for.
The Specials - The Singles Collection



I might need to scrounge up those U2 CDs I haven't listened to since college and trade 'em in for this one. The Specials rock and that 12" version of Ghost Town is freaking fantastic.

Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom

Basically I wanted this CD for the awesome album cover and the song Bus To Beelzebub. I'd link to the song, but it seems to have been caught in the YouTube Copyright Vortex. I might be better off just scrounging up the Greatest Hits CD for these guys. They also had these CDs which were mightly tempting...

They Might Be Giants Lincoln
Presidents of the United States of America These Are The Good Times, People
Ween Chocolate & Cheese

But this is what came home with me:

Camper Van Beethoven - Camper Vantiquities

Camper Van is my favorite band and this was the only CD of their pre-Cracker work that had eluded me. This CD has the Vampire Can Mating Oven EP on it, which I have been lusting after for ages. It kept going out of print and selling out on me too so I didn't want to miss it again. Totally worth it for two things alone: Axe Murderer Song and this picture from the liner notes:

Now that's awesome.




No, there aren't any cards in this post. I'm having card ennui issues at the moment so I'm taking a break. You'll get your filthy cards soon enough!

Harrumph!

(forgets about cards and chills to indy-folksy-country-ska for just a moment)

4 comments:

Billy Suter said...

Get "Then: The Earlier Years" instead of Lincoln. It's got the first two albums plus a bunch of EPs and other random stuff.

beardy said...

If you still want any of these, I think I have them all and will gladly burn some copies to be mailed down to Georgia.

Jim said...

Camper's New Roman Times and Cracker's recent Sunrise in the Land of Milk and Honey are 2 of my favorite CDs from the past 5 years. The Camper/Cracker guys still tour regularly and they put on an amazing show.

bailorg said...

Well, let's explain the results this way: for your next poll ask, "What sports card product should I buy next?" with the same "Save your money" option, but run the poll on a music blog/discussion forum.

I'd bet "save your money" would win in a landslide over there.