I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Sunday, August 30, 2009

It Came From The Oddball Box: Part 5

You guys all thought I was Mr. Bulldog fan, right? Gooooooooo Dawgs Sic 'Em WoofWoofWoofWoofWoof and all that rot? Well take a gander at these:

Georgia Tech schedules. Well worn ones, like they had spent time in a wallet. In the Oddball Junk box. How can this be?

Growing up, I was a Tech fan. Hardcore Tech fan. The first College football game I ever went to was Tech vs. Duke back when Spurrier was a coordinator. I had a Tech pennant hanging up on my wall. I got a bumpersticker from a friend of mine that said "Have you stung your Bulldog today?" I also proudly wore the ugliest Georgia Tech mesh trucker hat that has ever been seen on this earth.

Then one day I was deciding what college to go to, realized that Advanced Calculus was one of the easiest math classes at Tech and decided the Universtiy of Georgia wasn't all that bad.


Here's the schedules for 1989 Yellow Jacket Football and '90-91 Basketball. The football schedule features running back Jerry Mays who played two games for the Chargers in Tech's Championship year in 1990. The basketball schedule shows the infamous pain in the keister Kenny Anderson the year after the Jackets made it to the Final Four. I picked up the '90-91 hoops schedule about the same time I was getting my acceptance letter from Georgia, so that was the end of Tech schedules for me. I still have a soft spot for Tech though, except when they play Georgia in football. Then I wish them only heartbreaking agonizing failure. The other 364 days of the year, Wooooo, go Tech!

1 comment:

Mad Guru said...

I root for Tech, too. Only mine is because I went to school at a D-III institution in North Carolina and so you have to root for an ACC team. At the time the Yellowjackets had Nomar, Varitek, Jay Payton and Brad Rigby on the baseball squad (I couldn't care less about the other sports) so they became my team.