I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Last Pack/Best Set of 2009

Last pack of the year, last post of the year, last anything of the year, as soon as I'm done typing this I'm going to bed. I've thought it over very carefully and I think I've finally chosen a set of the year:

Allen & Ginter and Goodwin Champions are right up there with it, but I chose Topps206 for two reasons:

1) It's an all baseball set. I like the oddballs in my retro sets, but there's a purity to this set I find refreshing.

2) The short printed cards are variations that are technically outside the base set. This means that f I want to complete this set I could just go with the 1-300 base cards and call it a day. As someone with neither the time or the ca$h to be chasing a bunch of shorties, I appreciate this a lot.

So there it is, my set of the year even though I don't do award thingys on this blog. Let's open the last pack of '09 in its honor.

260 Andrew Miller

Andrew Miller either suffers from cripping social anxiety disorder or Topps is overusing the hell out of this pose. This is the 4th or 5th card where he's peeping over his glove.

64 Corey Hart

I tried so hard not to do this, really I did, but I can refrain no longer.


(why the hell can't I embed a crappy Corey Hart video? Seriously WTF YouTube?)

198 Brad Nelson RC

Brad's a big 'ol dude playing first for the Brewers. I think they have one of those already. This is Brad's rookie card, but he made his debut in '08. Since Brad is hopelessly blocked at first, he played in the OF last year in his September callup.

282 Ian Kinsler Piedmont mini

This card is why I collect cards. Just look at how cool this is. THE BALL'S IN THE GLOVE!

Also: this. Topps nailed this card.

Phil Hughes Auto Redemption


Have you ever seen a miscut redemption card before? Wild and wacky schtuff. Is it just me or are there a bunch of redemptions in this set?

262 Tommy Hanson RC

PPPPPBBBBTTTTHHHHTTTBBBTTTTTTHHHHH!!!!!

This card makes me grin like an idiot.

Mantle Checklist 5 of 7

Ending the year on a Mick. I'm tempted to check this checklist just out of principle.

There it is, so long crappy 2009 and hello awesome 2010! Happy happy everbody!

7 comments:

Play at the Plate said...

Thats a nice Kinsler. Have a great 2010!

Unknown said...

The Miller just makes me think of Wax Heaven. I wish Mario would just do a New Year's post.

Miss that guy.

Not to say your blog isn't cool too! You've been one of my original bookmarks since I discovered card bloggers. Your first post that I read featured Star Wars CCG cards in Japanese. Must've been destiny since I was the hugest Star Wars CCG geek ever in high school. Been reading your blog ever since.

Matt P. said...

A note about Brad Nelson--

HE WAS RELEASED BY THE BREWERS BACK IN MAY!!!!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TOPPS, STOP PRINTING BREWER CARDS OF HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpastikMooss said...

That's a heckuva last pack, nicely done Dayf!

Offy said...

Your reasons for favoring 206 over Ginter and Goodwin are exactly the same as mine. I really love that the SPs are not part of the main set. Makes it much easier to just bust a box or two and then pick up the rest of the set for a reasonable amount of money.

The oddball cards in other sets are fun until you start getting parallels of them. Pulling a Bazooka back of the Eiffel Tower isn't as fun as pulling one of Albert Pujols.

Anonymous said...

Good call, MattP., Brad Nelson's failure made one of the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel's bottom 10 Brewers moments of 2009.

And that Hanson card is awesome beyond belief.

SqueezePlayCards said...

I love that Kinsler. What is he waiting on a second pop up?