I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Topps206 Mini SPs

Here is a 2009 Topps206 mini card of David Wright.

Here also is a 2009 Topps mini card of David Wright.

One of them is a base mini, the other is a short printed mini card inserted 1:20 packs. The SP variations in the main set are distinguished by a different no-numbered back. Let's take a look at these mini backs, shall we?

Hrm. Same back. Both have numbers. The only discernible difference in the two is the card stock is slightly whiter than the other. If you look at it edge on, you'll see it's white all the way through instead of gray like the normal minis. Hell of a way to distinguish the short printed mini variations, Topps...

The SP variation turns out to the be the smiley portrait version. Unless you were eagle-eyed enough to catch the card stock difference or had the variations memorized, you're kind of out of luck with these things. So if you have a mini and you're not sure if it's an SP, take all your mini cards and look at them like this:

You might find a diamond in the rough.

10 comments:

NMCLax24 said...

WOOOOOAAAHH Really???? I totally noticed that about my Jeter mini. I just thought it was a funky spot in the card stock. Are these rare at all?

NMCLax24 said...

Oh duh, you already said they were 1:20.

Play at the Plate said...

Thanks. I found two. A Martinez (Mets) Rookie and Mark Teixeira.

Captain Canuck said...

you have two too many David Wright cards.
a Mets feature post?? really?

too much holiday cheer my friend.

beardy said...

Nice! I have a Mantle like that, and sort of thought it was some sort of SP type thingy, but wasn't 100%.

Thanks for the info.

dayf said...

Canuck - Hey, you play with the hand you're dealt. It's not my fault that all of the blasters meant for Dinged Corners ended up at my local Wal-Mart.

sruchris said...

Is there also a variation of the full-size NNO short printed cards that are seeded at 1:20?

NMCLax24 said...

Are the NNO variations also smileys cause I have a Lincecum NNO bearing a toothy grin

sruchris said...

I have about a dozen of the NNO SPs, none of them are smiling.

Dinged Corners said...

Holy cardstock! There are smiley shortprints? gaaaaah