I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

'74 Bomb

Mark at Stats on the Back sent me a package recently. Included was a pile of 1974 Topps big enough to choke a mule. And not just commonly scrubs I'm talkin' bout this:



Mark just asked for something nice in return, and less is more. I have a Jeremy Griffiths autograph, that's about as less as you can get. I'mma have to find something better than that though. The Winfield by itself made me cry. Yes, strong men also cry, especially if Dave Winfield is involved.

This is sort of causing a collecting crisis in the Dayf compound. Topps Series 2 will be out this week. I would not be surprised at all if the case breakers start floating eBay auctions by this afternoon or if a random Wal-Mart puts up a gravity feed out of nowhere. The thing is, I'm suffering from extreme ennui towards this year's card  crop and I'm wondering if I should just forsake the new stuff and focus on finishing the '74 set first. I have less than 75 cards to go and all the really big ones are out of the way now.

No, I am interested in some of the stuff Topps 2 has to offer. I like the Yo Momma cards. I wouldn't mind a few more codes to sit on until the Transmogrifier starts spitting out something good. I am especially interested in the 2020 Topps cards. I want to see how similar they are to mid-'90s inserts. Part of me is starting to think that it's just about toime to give up on all the new overpriced crap and just go full vintage. I've already given up on Chicle. Maybe I'll have to wait and see if Allen & Ginter snaps me out of my funk. 

8 comments:

Don said...

Finish the 74 set. It will be more fun trying to track down the last 75 cards than it will be trying to collect series 2.

Matt Runyon said...

Another vote for finishing the 1974 set. It was the first set I collected as a kid. I think it is a very underrated set.

SpastikMooss said...

I'm also voting for the 1974 set route. I'm taking a similar route towards 1992 Topps (even if that is way less awesome), which I only need 19 cards to complete

Anonymous said...

I'm voting for the complete "go vintage" route. Buying new sets is like throwing money away. Old sets? Money in the bank.

Captain Canuck said...

and uh.... dude? the case breakers had series 2 up on the bay two days ago.....

dayf said...

See how much I care about the new stuff? Two years ago I would have been stalking the case breakers' houses waiting for FedEx to arrive. Now I can't even be bothered to check the Bay for new schtuff.

Anonymous said...

You can't beat Rose, Parker, Reggie, and pre-Yankee Winfield in a package. Wow.

Definitely finish '74. 2010 has nothing for anyone. Modern baseball sucks.

RoofGod said...

Love that Kaline. For some reason when I think of Kaline cards I think of the 74 card. Don't know why but I do.