I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, May 1, 2010

My First Chicle Short Print

I am of course making a wild assumption that the short prints in Chicle are the high numbered subsets.I haven't been paying much attention to the official card news channels lately but from various eBay auction claims and what I saw come out of 8 packs I think it's a safe bet. If you're interested, out of 8 packs I got 7 SPs, parallels or inserts and they were all card #5 in the pack. Here is card #5 out of my second pack:

NO. 280 Jimmie Foxx

Artist: Chris Henderson

Double X in a... Phillies uniform?? I was bewildered by this at first too until I checked his Baseball-Reference page and found out that Jimmie Foxx finished out his career with the Phillies in 1945. Of course he played 11 seasons and hit 302 home runs for the Philadelphia Athletics compared to 89 games and 7 dingers for the Philadelphia Phillies but who's counting. It's not like Topps put him in a Flyers sweater or something. My second pack was utterly fantastic (check out this run of players: Snider, Ruth, Munson, Foxx. Woof!) and it was tough picking out my favorite from the pack. Snider looked great and had a neat little detail I appreciated. The base Ruth card was very well done. The Thurman Munson is a card that Matt from Heartbreaking cards needs for his collection immediately. But the Foxx has the all around package. The painting of Jimmie is excellent as is the pose and the background colors really ties everything together perfectly. I'm sad that it's a short print because more people need to pull this card from a pack.

4 comments:

Peterson said...

Finally, a card I can LOVE> that thing is the best I've seen from the set yet.

Captain Canuck said...

thank you for saying Flyers "sweater"...

Matt Flaten said...

I'll have to check that out...can't find packs anywhere yet

IkesCards said...

Isaac asked for a box of Chicle for his birthday (next week). We stopped by the card shop today and they were out of boxes and only had 14 packs left. The owner said he doubted he'd get any back in stock anytime soon as the per box price has gone through the roof. I let Isaac fill up the box with other packs and called it a day.