I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, September 16, 2010

1956 Topps Jackie Jensen

This dude won an MVP! I bought him for a buck!


Ok, so he wouldn't win the MVP until 1958. And there's a big crease going through the top of the card. But MVP! Buck! Madness! Two great things about this card: The background with the outfield ads and what I guess is a scoreboard is fun to look at and try to figure out the ads and the scores Jackie's autograph is interesting as well. I like the neat, sensible legible signature with the HUGE out of control Js. Also: no ie on Jack. That's Jack Jensen to you, mister.


Today's edition of 1956 Topps surreal comic theater:

Jackie Jensen hit a foul ball into a football game on the next field over but all the runners came home anyway. Meanwhile Baseball Robin, the Boy Wonder, is blown to smithereens by the Joker's second base land mine gag!

If you don't agree that old Topps comics are meant to be surrealist, just look at those goalposts. Ever sen goalposts that look like warped barber poles?

3 comments:

SpastikMooss said...

I love how the career stats are listed as "life" stats. I feel like that should include college, high school, little league, tee ball, and neighborhood numbers as well.

I bet I have something like 3465436543 "life" homeruns. I wonder if that's a record?

Steve Gierman said...

Awesome card!

Play at the Plate said...

That's a dollar well spent. Nice!