I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Friday, January 7, 2011

2011 Bowman quickie post

Let me start off by saying I hate the Bowman product and all it stands for. It's a useless, overhyped, overpriced, gimmicked up waste of a set. If Topps waited until the end of the year to release Bowman and put out a set that combined the Bowman and Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects set, it would actually be a pretty nice set. But Topps will never ever do that so just forget about Bowman being any good any time soon. Thus my disclaimer: I hate this set, do not buy it, you will be filled with sorrow and regret if you do.

Ok, now I can write my thoughts about 2011 Bowman free from worry that I might lead someone astray who might be tempted to collect Bowman. Here's a preview of the base cards ganked offa teh interwebs:


The very first thing I thought of was this:



The 2011 looks to be a clever reimagining of the 1955 set with a modern look. If that was their intent, then Topps' design crew did a very fine job this year. Of course, most of the set will probably be vertical which won't look like the '55 design at all. Well, the horizontal cards will look good at least.


Speak of the devil.. The vertical orientation looks more like a shield or maybe a falling bomb. it squishes the photo more than anything. Also notice that the Bowman/Bowman Chrome logo is right in the bottom center of the card chewing up some more photo room. It's not quite as horrible as the 2008 Topps Bump but still distracting. The lower half of Freddie's body is being dissolved by the Autograph Mist so it's hard to tell if the logo is all that annoying on this card. In other news: Topps is awfully confident that Freddie will be handed the Braves' 1st baseman job out of Spring training. I am too, but one injury in the Grapefruit league leaves the Braves up a creek without a first baseman and Topps scrambling with Alex Gordon Part Two.


This is a J-Hey in the style of 1994 Bowman's Best. I would speak more about it but I do believe that I have come down with a case of the Vapors. Excuse me, I need to be alone for a little while.

7 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

cool to see them try black borders. I love to see card manufacturers try something new.

night owl said...

If the set was all horizontal, it would be a shoo-in as "the plasma TV set." But I guess we're never gonna be able to have another all-horizontal set because it would weaken our national defense system or something.

And I thought my grandma was the only one who came down with "the vapors."

AdamE said...

This will be known as the bikini set.

Community Gum said...

Or The Teardrop Set. For the shape of the image. And the tears shed when cards of players who will never play in the Major Leagues are pulled from packs of Major League Baseball cards.

No wait! Positive!

longlivethewho said...

They've been using black borders for the past three years.

The Baseball Card Snob said...

The Vapors? Turning Japanese?
Fortunately I don't collect this stuff. But if the whole set was horizontal, that would be epic.


wv: famettes (n) small famished children

Play at the Plate said...

I want an all-horizontal set. National Defense be damned.