I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Topps fesses up

Via Stale Gum:
"Topps is confirming that it randomly inserted special “BLACK” cards (the entire front of the card is black except for player image) in 2009 Topps Baseball Series 1 $19.99 value boxes found at Wal-Mart.

"The exclusive limited edition set includes each of the 330 subjects found in the 2009 Topps Series 1 Base Set."
Ok, so they are a stealth retail parallel. Ok, I can see that. There have been plenty of retail exclusive parallel cards in the past with every manner of border and foil color and gimmickry. This is what I don't understand.

WHY THE SMEG ARE THERE ENTIRE BLASTERS OF THE STUFF??!?!

Seriously, dude! Insert one per pack! Maybe a special 'bonus pack' of all black cards! But the entire freaking blaster?!? What are they thinking???

I'm heading to the card shop for some recon work. Heritage is pushed 'till at least Friday but I will not come home empty handed.

6 comments:

deal said...

I had the same thought when I read that. I think they just screwed up.

Nachos Grande said...

It flat out sucks. If you want the black bordered cards (for some unknown reason to me), you've gotta get lucky I guess and hit an all-black blaster. The rest of us who want the nicer looking normal white bordered cards have to hope we DON'T get a tainted blaster.

When you have to gamble just to get the border color you want, I don't see how anyone wins.

night owl said...

It's going to make me stay away from Wal-Mart blasters, I know that (not that my Wal-Mart has any yet).

Anonymous said...

This is just a dumb idea on part of Topps. Why isue a black border parallel serial numbered to 58 sets and then do a VERY similar retail version? S-T-U-P-I-D.

Flash said...

It seems like the gimmicks never end. Can't they produce a set that's normal for once? Seriously?

Anonymous said...

I don't know if this is a gimmick as much it is an error. Does anyone know if Topps still makes (create and pack out) its cards in the U.S. or have they outsourced? Not trying to start a rumor, but I am seriously curious ...