I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Heavyweight Retro Championship of the World: Card 2

Note: Don't forget the contest... You have about a day to get in on it.

Goudey makes a comeback in the second round, and at least two bloggers may make snide remarks on my choice. They won't be that far off the mark to be honest, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

#1 Goudey James Parr

I'm the judge so I get to be biased. Braves always win. Even if they're a Gwinnett Brave. Besides, the card is not disgusting like the Guillen and you can read the BEACH patch on Parr's uniform.

3 points

(tie)#2 Heritage Khalil Greene

Anyone else remember when he was on the wrapper of every Draft Pick set? Now he's on his second franchise, playing a new position and is suffering from an anxiety disorder. Prospecting is a fickle business. I don't understand why Khalil's color photo isn't a portrait. That's the point of '60 Topps, you get an extreme close up in color and a tiny action shot in black & white.

1 point

(tie)#2 Heritage High Joe Crede

You know, in the '50s and early '60s pink was a very manly color often worn by men completely comfortable with their sexuality. Then the '80s happened and someone wrote a book about quiche and women started wearing huge shoulder pads and everyone got all uptight about everything and now pink is all messed up in the heads of the poor souls that had to grow up during that nightmarish decade. Poor Joe now has to suffer the brunt of Pink Bigotry. The blue tarp in the background don't help matters at all.

1 point
Two rounds in the books:

2009 Heritage 5 - 2008 Heritage High Series 3 - 2009 Goudey 3.

3 comments:

Dinged Corners said...

Shoulder pads. What WAS that all about?

madding said...

I actually can't stand the Khalil Greene card - lousy photoshopping and a bizarre photo to begin with. I now feel like I can't really complain about the guy considering that he might have a serious illness. Then again, I'm always suspicious when players are put on the DL with a severe case of the suck and no x-rays to show for it.

The Angels In Order said...

Pink on baseball cards has GOT to go. Not to mention Joe Crede's facsimile signature looks like Joe Cude (Cutie).