I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cropping Topps

Topps has done a vastly better job on their photos this year after a few years of really bland photography. However, my annoyance with some of the photo choices by Topps has reached full blown obsession so I did what any real man would do and took matters into my own hands. Gentlemen, it's time to open up... MSPAINT.

Original Topps Series Two Jason Kendall card:

Now that same card cropped and horizontal'd

Even with the mess I made with the background on the left side, which is the better looking card? Are his shin guards really that interesting? Ok, here's another one:

2009 Topps Series Two Adam Wainwright

Cropped a little


Cropped a lot:


I don't know about you, but I'd rather see these guys' faces instead of their ankles. I'm not a professional photo editor and I hacked these up using stretch, cut and paste in MSPaint. The cropped cards seem to be better looking to me at least. This might be in part becauseI grew up on Topps cars from the '60s, '70s and '80s where close ups were the norm, not the exception. What do you guys think? Do they look better or should I not quit my day job? (Oh wait...) Let me know thumbs up or down in the comments and let me know if you can do a better job with your own custom crops.

5 comments:

GOGOSOX60 said...

Please bring back the staged poses and head shots!

Richard Budnick said...

Good post and I liked the photos showing/backing up your idea of cropping. I agree with you. Leave out the player's ankles, and show us his face, arms, position and the number on his uniform!

fengypants said...

I agree some of the shots are framed awkwardly. But on the whole, I like the context that the wider shots provide. I like seeing the scene as much as seeing the player. My two penny sleeves, anyway.

dayf said...

I don't mind the wider shots if there's something interesting going on like the Coco Crisp card. Nothing's really happening behind them on these two and I'd prefer we be able to see their face when that's the case.

PunkRockPaint said...

I love your use of MS Paint... LOVE!!!

You are, essentially, flipping the bird to the graphic design establishment.

You ARE punk rock.