I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

'70s cards for a quarter

Atlanta Sports Cards now has a Quarter box. Life is beautiful. There's a pretty nice mix of newer stuff and inserts from all the major sports in there, but you know what I scrounged for: vintage. Here is a quarter card from each year of the '70s.

1970 - Rod Carew All Star

(insert Beastie Boys lyrics here) Rod's bustin' right through the Sporting News to take his place as the AL's starting second baseman.

1971 - 1970 American League Batting Leaders

Poor Yaz loses the batting title to Alex Johnson by a thousandth of a point and he gets stuck on the bottom row with Tony Oliva. Poor Carl.

1972 - 1971 American League ERA Leaders

Click here. Look at the earned run averages for these three dudes.
Contemplate what an American League starting pitcher would have to do in order to post an ERA like that in today's game. Try to think of a way not involving land mines in the batter's box. What hath the DH wrought?

1973 - Rookie Outfielders

HOW THE HECK DID I JUST BUY A DEWEY ROOKIE CARD FOR A BLEEDING QUARTER?! Shoot, maybe I should just build the '73 set...

1974 - Steve Garvey

If the Louvre were to take exactly one baseball card to exhibit in the Modern Art wing, this one here would have to be given serious consideration. This is a masterpiece.

1975 - Bert Blyleven

Look how calmly Bert blows bubbles while waiting in a midaeval torture chamber for the BBWAA to poke and prod him with 287 wins. Now sit on... THE COMFY CHAIR.

1976 - 1975 American League ERA leaders

Why cheapskate vintage collectors love League Leader cards: Three Hall of Famers for two bits.

1977 - Rookies - Outfielders

Hey, Tony Armas hit 43 homers in 1984. Don't be hatin' on Tony.

1978 - Andre Dawson

Hawk with a rookie cup brings joy to my soul.

1979 - Bump Wills Blue Jays error

When I first started collecting this error card was like some rare magical legend... strange and alien... not fit for this world. Now it's in a quarter box. Good thing I'm a scrounger and not an investor! Some poor schlub out there has ten thousand of these cards locked up in a safe deposit box, you just know it.

7 comments:

night owl said...

AWESOME! I have most of these, and this makes me want to get the others. Got to find that quarter bin.

Captain Canuck said...

my local shop has a dollar box.

in it, you'll find 1991 Pro Set, '91 Score, '89 Donruss (but none of the high $ rookies).... if you scrounge really deep, you might find some '91 UD.

Play at the Plate said...

I would bring all my quarters for a shot at that box.

Anonymous said...

The Sporting News All Star Cards from 1969 and 1970 were really cool. Topps tried them again in the early to mid 2000s but they don't have the same effect as the head popping through the page.

Jeffrey Wolfe said...

Heh funny line about the Wills error card. I remember when that thing was the holy grail.

Collective Troll said...

I need to move to Gawja seriously... I paid 4 bucks for that Carew last month... I needed the Dewey rookie, but he has it in the display case, so I can only imagine...

Charley said...

I agree, love that Dawson card. I finally picked it up a few months ago.

Charley
Andre Dawson for the Hall of Fame
http://hawk4thehall.blogspot.com