I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

70's set poll

The deadline on the poll on the right requesting your assistance in helping me choose which set to focus on next is almost up. I have no real preference on which one I choose so whatever you all say is what I'll build next. While I plan to get all my wantlists in order over the next few months, the selected set will be getting the binder treatment, so choose wisely. The local card shop seems to have a whole lot more commons for sale from '74-'76 but you never know when or where '70s cards will pop up out of nowhere.

It looks like it's coming down to a fight between 1974 and 1976 so here's some pros and cons for each set to help you decide which to vote for. Hey, it's 2am and I can't sleep so just humor me.

1974 Topps:

Pros:
  • The first set released by Topps in one series. Which means...
  • NO IMPOSSIBLE HIGH NUMBERS
  • The design is quite attractive.
  • Hank Aaron's tribute set.
  • The San Diego/Washington variations are neat.

Cons:
  • Dave Winfield is the only big rookie in the set and I don't have it.
  • I need about 300 card for the set which is 100 or so more than I need to finish off 1976.
  • According to Beckett these cards are slightly more expensive than 1976 cards and a couple of sources I'd use to build these sets pay attention to such things.

1976 Topps:

Pros:
  • I need less than 200 cards to complete the thing.
  • The only decent rookie at all is Eck and I've got it.
  • Other than the second year Brett, I'm pretty sure I have most if not all of the big names in the set.
  • Hank Aaron's last card.
  • This would be by far the easiest '70s set for me to finish.

Cons:
  • While it has grown on me in the past few years, the '76 design was one of my least favorite when I was a kid.
  • The rookies in this set are really dreadful. '74 at least has Winfield, Griffey and Cobra, after Eck, we're looking at Ron Guidry and... who, Jerry Remy?
  • This set will be easier to complete, but I'm not sure it would be as satisfying to finish as that '74 set.

You guys go vote away while I ponder the situation some more. I still have votes of my own I can cast. If you have already voted for '75, '77 or '78, feel free to change your vote because those are pretty much out of the running at this point.

Before you post in the comments "Why don't you just try to build both of them?" the answer is: Because I'm also going to be choosing a '60's set to tackle, silly.

6 comments:

deal said...

74 74 74

Matt Runyon said...

Both sets have the traded cards, which are interesting.

1974 has the team checklist cards.

I'd probably go with 1976 since it's the easier one to complete.

Steve Gierman said...

If I might suggest a sixties set to chase, try 1968. There seems to be a lot of them floating around.

I already voted for '74, when the poll first went up. I stick by that decision.

Rob- AKA "VOTC" said...

I like that '75 set for the funky borders but if it is between these 2, I say 74.

gcrl said...

i voted for the 76 set, but since you posted the 74 garvey, i'll swing back to the 74 set. i'm easy that way.

AlbuqwirkE said...

Waiting patiently to see which set from the 60s you tackle!