I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Sunday, November 6, 2011

October Card Show - '70 Posters

The amazing kickass dollar box of doom wasn't at the card show this time, but I think the guy who had that table was there as I saw some similar stuff on one of the tables. There was a dollar box of random non-card stuff and I snagged a few things out of there. There were two plastic holders full of 1970 Topps poster inserts, one baseball and one football. I got one poster from each folder.


Here's Frank Howard from the 1970 Topps baseball poster set. There are so many things to like about this card. Awesome '70s graphics and fonts. Defunct team. Howard's glasses. Baseball cap under battting helmet. The home run trot that looks like me running for a bus. The thing is too big to fit on a scanner too. Truth be told I might already have this one. If I do I might trade it off or maybe just stick it up on the wall. I had an idea for Thorzul's Nightmares on Cardboard that involved this design, but the NO TOPPS edict kiboshed it. Maybe next year.

The 1970 Topps Football posters were not photos but artwork. The whole set looks absolutely amazing but it has never been on my radar since there are no Falcons in the set. This one of Ram great Deacon Jones had to come home with me for its sheer awesomeness.


I've seen this poster several times online and in price guides but it was a bit of a shock to see it in person in a dollar box. I was on the fence about getting anything out of the box before I saw this and I ended up getting a small pile out of it. The hapless Jet running for his life while Deacon zeroes in for the kill is great. I might have to pick up a few more of these. I regret not snagging the lot of them now. I guess you could say I have the Deacon Blues.

3 comments:

Hackenbush said...

I don't remember the football posters at all. Cool! Also like the song.

Fuji said...

Thanks for sharing the football poster... I've added it to my eBay searches... have to add at least one of these to my collection.

Unknown said...

These are awesome! I'm definitely keeping my eye out for one of these.