I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Book Poll

Ze results:


Microserfs - Douglas Coupland
  3 (8%)
 
Last Words - George Carlin
  10 (28%)
 
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
  3 (8%)
 
Operation Manual For Spaceship Earth - R. Buckminster Fuller
  4 (11%)
 
Joystick Nation - JC Herz
  1 (2%)
 
We Could've Finished Last Without You - Bob Hope
  7 (20%)
 
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
  5 (14%)
 
The Crying of Lot 49 - Thomas Pynchon
  6 (17%)
 
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
  13 (37%)
 
Bluebeard - Kurt Vonnegut
  8 (22%)
 
Still Life With Woodpecker - Tom Robbins
  5 (14%)
 
Pastoralia - George Saunders
  1 (2%)
 
The Devil In The White City - Erik Larson
  6 (17%)
 
Empire of the Summer Moon - SC Gwynne
  2 (5%)
 



Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas came out on top both in the poll and in comments pleading with me to read that book. So that's the next one I'm gonna read. As soon as I can find it. The local library system doesn't have a single copy (They have a dozen of the DVDs though) I haven't been able to find it at any used book stores and I want to exhaust all my options before just buying the thing from Barnes & Noble. So in the meantime I'm reading George Carlin's Last Words. And yes, it's exactly what I expected and it's going right up on the wall next to my Biography of Lenny Bruce and Frank Zappa. If I finish George before I find Hunter Bluebeard is next in the queue. Once I get my hands on Fear & Loathing another poll will go up.

Thanks for feeding my brain!

4 comments:

Mark Aubrey said...

Might I suggest amazon?

No, not Lucy Lawless or Lynda Carter.

The online shopping thingo.

Dawgbones said...

I do all my reading on my ipod touch with the Nook app now...

Hackenbush said...

Dude doesn't need me as an agent but please pick up a Tom Robbins sometime.
“As a child, I was an imaginary playmate.”
― Tom Robbins

dayf said...

Mark: funny thing - three of those Amazon links are to Goodwill, which is one of the places I've been scrounging around in hopes of finding a copy. (I'm looking for a Robbins book too, Hackenbush). I've got a good chunk of time to myself tomorrow so I'm going to hit at least one more Goodwill (looking for an office chair is my excuse) and a used bookstore. If I fail at that attempt I'll probably try B&N only because I have a gift card for them and not Amazon. The thrill of the chase is just as good with books as with cards.

dawgbones: I've tried reading books online (I don't have a kindle or iPod) and it's just not working for me. Part of the problem is if I get bored it's too easy to drop the book and screw around online. Having a book reading device might help, but I'm too cheap to buy one right now.