I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, March 13, 2008

B-O-R-I-N-G

The Presidential Candidate gimmick insert for Topps Series two will be letter patch cards that spell out the three remaining candidates' names. McCain gets Diamondbacks patches, Steve has 5 more Obama White Sox Patches to chase, and Hillary's team is the Cubs. [insert Cubs Suck joke here]

It's too early in the morning to try to figure out a filthy anagram using the names that will be included, but not too early to say that no one wants this crap. Topps needs to get 'em autographed at least so they might be worth something for cryin' out loud. Also these three are on TV 24 hours a day, so Topps can certainly find some new pictures of them. Thankfully the cards are numbered to 50 each, so the chances of pulling one instead are D-I-D-D-L-E-Y-S-Q-U-A-T.

8 comments:

Steve Gierman said...

Oh dear god no. I may draw the line at these. Unless someone offers to trade or donate, I highly doubt this will be in my collection. You've already summed up the chances of me actually getting one in a pack. If I were to get one, it would probably be Clinton. If one was a Braves fan, I'd definitely get that.

Anonymous said...

These are a bad idea. The only way I might want one of these would be if the letter patch came from a jersey they wore throwing out the first pitch at a MLB game. Then probably only if they did it while being President.

Oh well, Upper Deck still has the upper hand on Candidate cards with the Caricatures.

Andy said...

Here are some anagrams using all the letters:

Acclaim in noncombat
Combination can calm
Climb anatomic canon
Concoct banal minima
Comical cinnamon bat

etc etc

deal said...

semi-related - Has anyone gotten a Commemorative Patch Relic (CPR) in their first series? Is anyone interested in those?? - That is what came in my Jumbo, at least it was Pujols - That was my "Relic" - I am not positive but these things were never worn/touched/seen or ever near the player right?? I definitely felt underwhelmed getting that card.

Bay Rat North West said...

In the manufacturers eyes I understand the inserts. More press and more non traditional buyers looking for the cards.
Like I said in my one pack breakdown of Heritage. We can expect the 1960 presidential candidates in it next year to keep it going.
But it is not what the true collector wants.

Chris Harris said...

Question: Does anybody even like the concept of manufactured patch cards? Not just these cards in particular, but (as an example) the SP By the Letters?

dayf said...

I've got a few of the manufactured patch cards and they are nice if you like the player on them. Let's see, I've got an Eddie Mathews... Andruw Jones... *ahem* Michael Vick... a couple others too. Those cards are ok, but if I had a Derrek Lee or Frank Robinson or something like that I wouldn't pay much attention to them.

Basically they are just glorified gimmicky inserts. No different from the weird crap they inserted in the late nineties like the wood and plastic cards, the cards with a piece of mesh in them like they were a foul pole net or something, a card with a wheel on them that you could turn and see different stats, cards hidden inside other cards... Just another gimmick.

Anonymous said...

What, no Ron Paul!?!?! Hmpf.