I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Where in the world is Upper Deck?

Butt ugly Topps Opening Day is live, making 4 different products out for Eisner's crew, but Upper Deck has still only released... Upper Deck. What exactly are they waiting for? Are they hoping Topps uses up its allotted number of sets for the year by pushing out ugly crap like Opening Day and Bowman, while they lurk in the weeds waiting to have the market all to themselves so they can release their own ugly crap? There are hushed rumors of Fleer in the air, but I think UD drowned that company in the tub finally. I could be wrong though and I'd rather see a nice pack of Fleer on the market than that nightmare Opening Day set. It's just too dang red. And it's not good 1990 Donruss red, it's 1992 Triple Play 'make your eyes bleed' red. I'm a Georgia Bulldog fan and even we wear black every once in a while. Yecch. Too much red. And I still don't know what the heck a flapper card is. Topps killed off Bowman Heritage but kept this? Every day I'm one day closer to being a Vintage-only collector.

4 comments:

Voltaire said...

I sure hope Fleer isn't dead. It's my base set every year. Nice, clean cards with full stat backs and non-glossy fronts. Perfect!

Captain Canuck said...

when you become that "vintage only collector"... you know where to send those newer Braves cards... especially LaRoche...

Brian
The 3rd Igloo on the left
Calgary, Alberta

Anonymous said...

The red border doesn't look bad on the Cincinnati cards, but clashes terribly with the Cubs and Tigers (those are the only ones I looked at on eBay). What's the price on these? Still .99 for 8 cards?

dayf said...

6 cards and a stick of gum for a buck. I don't understand why they went with all red borders. They did a red white and blue border on the autographs and they look good. They should have done that with the whole set. The only reason this set exists at all is to have one product with a one dollar pack price. It's obvious no thought went into it at all.