I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Yankees from the Dollar Box

I still have some neet stuff left over from the Atlanta Sports Cards run to show off. They have a pretty cool row of dollar boxes there with a good mix of new and old, base and inserts. I've even found autographs in the dollar box before! I like scrounging through for oldies, which means poring though the "original 16" teams. Red Sox are good for oldies. So are the Phillies. I guess the Cubs are too, but I'll try the Cards or Dodgers or Indians first, thankyouverymuch. However, there is no dollar box oldies team like the New York Mickyficking Yankees.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I HATE the New York Yankees. A-Fraud, Cap'n Cheezburger and Tei$eira can all take a flying leap into the Hudson wearing cement bathing suits for all I care and I'm glad the Halos finally took one in the series yesterday. However, the Old York Yankees I love. The cut off point is somewhere around Mattingly but I can't pinpoint it exactly. '20s? '30's? Hells yes! '60s? '70s? Alllll Riiiiiight! '50s? NIRVANA! So I scrounged the dollar Yankee box looking for one old card and found three.

1964 Topps Young Aces

This is the Holy Grail of Infamous Pitcher cards. Al Downing? He gave up a certain home run that is somewhat well known. Jim Bouton? Well, if a baseball fan don't know Jim Bouton, then Dayf's gonna do some shoutin'. This also a pretty good demarcation line between the great Yankee Teams of the '50s and early '60s and the Bllleeeaaaargghhh Yankee teams of the late '60s and early '70s.

1969 Topps Mickey Mantle Checkist

If you have a chance... to get a vintage Mickey Mantle card... ANY vintage Mickey Mantle card... for a BUCK... YOU FREAKING DO IT.

Anyone else who wants to "just do it" ASC had two or three more of these in various stages of mouse nibblings in that box as well. Get to 'em!

1950 Bowman

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET A 1950 BOWMAN CARD FOR A BUCK?? Ok, so the corners are rounder than a mint 1951 Topps card and it's got a double cross crease going right through the dude's face, but 1950! Bowman! So who is this guy?

Fred Sanford



The "G" stands for "Gamer". Or "goat" perhaps, as the Yankee pitcher was mercilessly booed by Yankee fans who expected more from the righty after that $100,000 trade mentioned on the card back. Did you know Redd Foxx's real last name was Sanford? Did you also know that both Fred and Redd's first name was also John? Now ya do!

No comments: