I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Friday, July 30, 2010

1953 Topps Alvin Dark


Here's the first of my card show pickups. I'm going to show 'em all off over the nest few weeks, possibly days if I am desperate for cheap posts. This card here is one of the very, very few true common cards I needed from the low numbered set. I'm quickly getting to the point where the only cards I need are high numbers and superstars. Mickey and Yogi and Mays, oh my! I would have bet money that I had this card already because I've seen this picture a thousand times in eBay auctions and Archives cards. If it wasn't on the wantist I would have passed it up. Always carry a want list! And keep it current!


Alvin was one of the first old-time players I had ever heard of. I read Peanuts paperback books like mad when I was a kid and one of the Sunday strips showed the locker room of the San Francisco Giants (Sparky's favorite team) in the throwaway panel. The names on the top of the locker included Willie Mays, Willie McCovey and Alvin Dark. I knew exactly who Mays and McCovey were but didn't know about Alvin Dark. From that point on, I figured he was another superstar like the Willies. Turns out he was the manager, which is a different kind of superstar.

2 comments:

Cardboard Icons said...

Dave, hit me through e-mail with you needs for 53 Topps. I have a a couple of low numbers ... also my shop is VERY good with vintage, especially in lesser condition. I might be able to give you a hand.

Cardboard Icons said...

Ooops, try cardboardicons(at)yahoo