I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bye Bye Yunel

wat

Blue Jays Acquire Yunel Escobar

Braves send Escobar to Blue Jays for Gonzalez in 5-player deal

I... the... what... huh?

Gotta hand it to Wren, he's learned how to keep deals hush-hush now.

I'm not crazy about Alex's on base percentage, but he certainly does have a little power and is a solid defender. Another veteran leader in the locker room is also a good thing for a playoff run. Good short term deal that becomes very scary a couple of years down the line.

Yunel's frequent brain farts combined with his lousy offensive output this year sealed his fate. I don't know how he went from Team MVP to doghouse trade bait in one season though. He must have caught Jeff Francouer disease. I was just talking to a friend yesterday about how Yunel's having a bad season but his ceiling is just too high to give up on him. I'm still not sold on this trade, but am willing to get a good look at Gonzalez before ripping it. Well, at least we know that the Braves are in "Win Now" mode. I'm fine with that as long as we don't go overboard and trade Medlen or one of the blue chip pitchers in the minors for a rental.

JoJo's gone too, and a couple of minor leaguers come to us in his place. I don't mind this, JoJo got ample opportunities to crack this rotation and blew them all. Time for him to go to another organization and figure out if he's Jason Schmidt or Charlie Morton. As a prospect with the braves he was done. The Collins kid looks reaaal interesting. 73 Ks in 43 innings?? Holy crap!

Oh God, Canuck sponsored Yunel's B-R page. I'm sorry Canuck...

8 comments:

Dennis said...

Gonzalez is pretty great in the field. Still can't believe he's hit 17 HR's this year but I'm sad Tiny Tim Collins was traded! Easily one of my favourite Jays prospects.

Captain Canuck said...

I could just cry....


a 33 y/o playing waaaay over his head. Talk about buying high and selling low...

I may start drinking again....

dayf said...

Put down the bottle and look at Tim Collins' stats. I know it's AA New Hampshire, but great gravy that's a lotta strikeouts.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=collin004tim
This trade might help us this year at shortstop and give us a closer in four of five years.

AdamE said...

I watched his 2 stints in Boston and while he isn't an OBP guy you will be inpressed with Gonzalez's glove. One of the best in the field I have seen, period.

Nachos Grande said...

I watched Gonzalez in Cincinnati - and let's just say there is a Reds fan out there who thinks he has a good glove. He moved like molasses in January for the Reds. For your sake, I can only hope he improves (and judging by his stats this year, he has).

Roy said...

Gonzalez will probably keeep up the HR totals, and Tim Collins should be serviceable down the road.

Loooove Yunel on the Jays though. Finally a (somewhat exciting) player to watch in a DEAD concrete stadium.

Captain Canuck said...

it's a damn good thing we have Elvis waiting in the wings to take over at short........

wait.........



FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dayf said...

Elvis has left the building.