I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, July 24, 2008

2008 Allen & Ginter Box Break Part 4: Packs 9-12


At the end of this post we'll be halfway home.

Pack 9:
97 Jeff Francis
145 Bobby Abreu
76 Jim Thome
156 Delmon Young
323 James Bowie SP
87 Aaron Rowand mini
US19 Maine - Tim Stauffer
59 Nicky Hayden

I fell asleep ripping this pack. Thankfully Jim Bowie stabbed my ass awake.

Pack 10:
205 JJ Putz
246 Jeff Kent
234 Jered Weaver
43 Rickie Weeks
185 Carlos Pena mini black
US15 Iowa - Casey Blake
11 Michael Cuddyer
19 Albert Einstein

Sweet, another Einstein. Keep the theoretical physicists coming, Topps. This is still a pretty uninteresting pack. JJ Putz looks baked. Jeff Kent looks lobotomized. Jered weaver is... looking at me... Jesus, I didn't think anyone could look creepier than his brother on a trading card, but here it is. Casey Blake looks good though. That's a manly man right there! With a beard and a jaw and he's from Iowa so he's been eating corn and such. MANLY CORN. Replace that bat with an axe and he's a lumberjack. Or a serial killer. So how's Carlos Pena doing after his breakout season last year? .230 average with 15 homers. Figures.

Pack 11:
280 Brandon Webb
95 Garrett Atkins
168 Melky Cabrera
340 Carl Crawford SP
196 Edgar Renteria mini
US30 New Jersey - Derek Jeter
287 Chris Carpenter
34 Bill Hall

Derek Jeter is from New Jersey? I did not know that. There's a Ducky Medwick mention on the back of the card too, sweet. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Carl Crawford is a short print. I don't know why, he just looks like a short print. (edit - I was right!) Brandon Webb might win another Cy Young award the way he's pitching right now. If Topps is listening, here's a tip for your 2009 A&G set: No action shots on the base cards. Just do portraits, please. This card of Bill Hall looks like crap. I just noticed Edgar Renteria's name is in all caps. That's 'cause Edgar is one bad mother -

Shut your mouth!

I'm only talkin' 'bout Edgar.

We can dig it.



Ya damn right.

Pack 12:
81 Vernon Wells
211 Josh Hamilton
228 Derek Lowe
306 Carlos Gomez SP
156 Delmon Young mini black
US3 Arizona - Brian Bannister
208 Bruce Jenner
298 Greg Smith RC

This must be the "prospects the Twins picked up this offseason, who kinda suck right now but will be absolute beasts in 2012" pack. I got another black border mini too. All the parallels are coming in waves so far. The Bruce Jenner card kicks butt too, he was the coolest guy in the world when I was 4. Aaaaaaand that's all I got. Sorry, I just don't have a lot to say about these packs. Kinda boring really. Screw it, I'm gonna post some more YouTube soul music.

How about some Marvin Gaye!



Aw yeah, maybe a little Al Green...



And the all time undisputed king at getting other people laid: Barry White.



Stay tuned, there's gotta be another hit in this box somewhere. Right, Delmon?



The box so far:
Base cards - 72/351 20.5%
Short Prints - 7/50 14%
mini -4
mini A&G - 4
mini black - 3 (1 SP)
State Flags - 11
Jersey relics - 1 (Joe Mauer)
Pioneers of Aviation - 1
Old Planter ad - 1

No comments: