I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Lost Box of Total Awesomeness - Fleer MADNESS

Here's some more from the Awesome Box. I'll have to do this quick because I have a ton of stuff going on right now. Uncle Dayf may not be able to respond to e-mails or stuff this weekend, but I've got some goodies in store for you at least in the posting queue. Next up from the box is a bunch of Fleer cards from the '80s These are all quite awesome, as you soon shall see.

24 1981 Fleer cards


There were other spectacular cards I could have used to illustrate this set such as Dick Williams' extreme close up, Tom Brookens swinging at the camera and Bill Robinson's star studded cap, but decided to go with Joe Rudi's puppy dog eyes. Mostly as an excuse to post The Specials.



5 1983 Fleer cards

The other four were Joe Ferguson, Bryn Smith, Big Chiefs and Base Stealer's Threat. This card here is signifigant though. This card right here was the very last card I needed for my '83 Fleer set. Absolute last one. I picked it up last year in a common box for a quarter and rejoiced. And it turns out I had it all the time. Just like Dorothy and her Ruby slippers, I could have gone back to Kansas any time I wanted and completed that set of Fleer. Since this card popped up, the official last card needed for that set designation now goes to Steve Carlton, who I picked up a few years ago.

8 1984 Fleer cards

The '84 Fleer set is particularly awesome, so I'll go over each one individually.

Oscar is a legend. If I ever start a Cardboard Junkie Hall of Fame, Oscar is a charter member.

Tony Fernandez Rookie card... can't beat that.

Frank has a weird printers blotch on his card that makes it look like there is smoke or a small tornado coming out of the top of his head.

Mike looks like a refugee from Dazed and Confused. That's what I love about these '84 Fleer cards, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

Ted Power has the entire tobacco crop of Kentucky in his mouth.

There's too much to say about this card. Just sit back and soak it all in.

Rusty's really concentrating on that ball. I'd just throw it up and hack away, but Staub is serious about his craft.

Gaylord Perry holding the stikout ball that passed Walter Johnson on the all time K's list. Everyone forgets that he, Ryan and Carlton were all jockeying to be the first to past the Train as the all time strikeout king in 1983.

2 1987 Fleer cards

Man, why did we trade Brett Butler. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The other card is a very old looking Ted Simmons.

4 1988 Fleer cards


The other three cards are Wade Boggs, Benito Santiago and a Mark McGwire special card. All better players than Kevin. I think Seitzer embodies this set a little better than them though.

1 1989 Fleer card

Ted looking really really old on this card.

4 1992 Fleer cards

Four Braves oddly enough. Marvin Freeman, Brian Hunter, Keith Mitchell and Greg here. Not sure why they weren't with the other Braves cards.

And finally, 1 1993 Fleer card

Prime Time in quite possibly the worst photo I've ever seen on a baseball card. I'm kicking myself for not scanning the back.

All right, More awesome up next week! I see you shiver with antici...
















pation.

5 comments:

Andrew Harner said...

Nice, a rare 1989 Fleer Refractor!!

Anonymous said...

I moved out of state recently and had to lug 35 years worth of cards across the country. I actually pitched (yes, threw in the garbage) a bunch of cards. Mostly recent stuff that I bought way too many boxes of and are worthless to most. The cards that seemed to hit me with a great sense of nostalgia (besides the "real" vintage stuff) were the eighties issues, particularly Fleer and Donruss sets. I really thought Fleer had the others beat for a while in terms of design and photography. The 1984 set is by far my favorite. Any set with that Jay Johnstone/Budweiser sunhat card is alright by me!

Anonymous said...

...and by the way, The Specials video was an unexpected treat! I was probably one of the few that could sort cards and slap the Specials on the turntable and the same time during those "Fleer years". I used to draw many "you look like Terry Hall" comments during that period: Thin, pale and sunken eyes to boot. My hair was more in the vein of his Fun Boy Three days though!

MMayes said...

In that Rusty Staub card, I hope he's either throwing the ball up to hit fungoes or he's taking a pitch, because it looks like it's by him.

If you want to see a good looking card of a batter watching a pitch, look at George Brett's 1988 Score card.

The Baseball Card Snob said...

I was out of the hobby for most of the years you portray. Got back in in 1992.

always thought that 84 Fleer set was great. Very simple design and a large picture.

Say it, say it, "pation".

But maybe the rain...is really to blame.