I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Rating the Mark Teixeira Trade Rumors Based on Whether I Have Their Cards Or Not

There are about eight thousand rumors swirling about the inevitable Tex deal and to be completely honest none of them look all that great. Here's a list of most of the names being bandied about and the deals rated based on the very scientific method of if I have any of their good cards. I'll list them by teams, with my luck the deal will be made right as I finish typing the post.

ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS:

Supposedly the team most likely to make a deal, unfortunately they won't give the Braves the players they want.

Conor Jackson:

Do I have his rookie card? Yes. 2004 Topps and maybe Bowman.

Do I have a jersey or auto? Yes. A USA baseball jersey card from Upper Deck.

A good young player that hits for average and has some pop. About to hit his prime and won't be a free agent for a couple of years. This would be a good pickup for the Braves, but the Snakes don't want to trade him. I just traded a relic card to Dinged Corners, if we get him maybe I could get it back for a pile of Tex cards...

Chad Tracy:

Do I have his rookie card? Not sure. I'd have to check my 2002 Bowman Draft cards.

Do I have a jersey or auto? Yes. 2007 Allen Ginter bat card.

Zona would like to give us Tracy instead of Conor, he's older and a little more versatile but not as exciting as Conor. I have a weird bat card of Tracy where the mini card got pinched by the frame and as a result I can slip the mini card out of the frame now. He's not a great player, but he can play first or third, important since Chipper's banged up again.

Micah Owings:

Do I have his rookie card? I don't know if Ive got any of this 2005 cards, but I sure do have a bunch of his 2007 'rookie' cards.

Do I have a jersey or auto? Nope.

The scuttlebutt is Tracy, Owings and a prospect for Tex. We need pitching desperately, but Owings' bat may make him a better oprtion at first base than as our fifth starter.

BOSTON RED SOX:

Probably won't be making a deal, but the rumor is out there.

Kevin Youkilis:

Do I have his rookie card? Yes. 2003 Topps and Bowman at least, probably more.

Do I have a jersey or auto? I don't think so, I'd have to check.

This rumor keeps getting bounced around even though Youk is almost as good as Tex, and won't be nearly as expensive. The Sox are probably trying goad the Yanks into overpaying as they'd have to move Manny before doing anything. I'd dance nekkid in the streets until I was dragged away if we somehow got Youk.

LOS ANGELES ANGELS:

Doesn't usually rent players, but Tex could make them a World Series favorite.

Casey Kotchman:

Do I have his rookie card? I think I have his Topps Total rookie.

Do I have a jersey or auto? I don't think so, but I'd have to check.

Average first baseman, a few years away from free agency. He'd fill a roster spot, but who knows if he'll develop much more. The Angels are really hesitant to trade him from what I hear.

Howie Kendrick:

Do I have his rookie card? Yes. 2004 Topps Traded, plus a crapload of logo RC's from 2006.

Do I have a jersey or auto? No, but I have an Allen & Ginter Bazooka mini numbered 16/25.

Only 24, hits for average, not power. Strikes out too much. Is versitile and can play 1st, 2nd or 3rd base. Could allow the Braves to move Chipper to first base next year or move Kelly Johnson back to the outfield.

Kendry Morales:

Do I have his rookie card? Yes. 2005 Upper Deck Origins and probably others.

Do I have a jersey or auto? No, but his autographs are plentiful and cheap.

Cuban defector who is stuck in the Angels' minor league system. Switch hitter, high average, not a lot of power yet. Still a decent prospect who could use some at bats in the majors.

LOS ANGELES DODGERS:

They need the offense desperately, but don't count on them to make a deal for Tex.

James Loney:

Do I have his rookie card? Maybe. I think I have the 2002 UD Prospect Premiere card, but I have to check.

Do I have a jersey or auto? I don't think so.

Another very good prospect at first who still needs some development. The Dodgers might be better off grooming their prospects instead of adding another veteran.

NEW YORK YANKEES:

Hell, they might trade for anyone at any time.

Melky Cabrera:

Do I have his rookie card? Yes, 2005 Cracker Jack.

Do I have a jersey or auto? Nope.

A young outfielder that has been in trade rumors to the braves for a couple of years now. We have enough young outfilders to be honest.

Ian Kennedy:

Do I have his rookie card? 2008 rookies? Yes. USA Baseball rookies from 2004? No.

Do I have a jersey or auto? No.

His name's been bandied about but I doubt it. Any arm is a good arm at this point though.

Phil Hughes:

Do I have his rookie card? I have 2007 Hughes cards coming out of my ears. I also have his 2004 Topps Traded card.

Do I have a jersey or auto? No.

Again, I think this is more Yankee speculation than anything. If this lasts much longer we might hear Joba's name pop up.

TAMPA BAY RAYS:

I've only heard names of prospects talked about, but the Rays are supposedly in the hunt. They already have Carlos Pena, but why not strike while the iron is hot and tryo to finally win a division after so many years of dreadfulness?

VERDICT - As far as my collection goes, I'm rooting for Conor Jackson. I could plug his cards into my Braves box pretty easily and not have to worry about him being gone in a few months. Kendrick, Tracy or Hughes would also be good for my collection. As far as players go, Jackson, Loney or any starting pitcher would be the best option for the future of the club. Youkilis is a Fantasy League trade only, but oh, how I'd love that.

Now it's time to wait...

No comments: