I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My All Star Ballot

Ok, all you procrastinators... You have till midnight tonight to get your votes in for the All Star game. And that's midnight Eastern time, so all you west coast slackers are in real trouble. So vote already. If you don't know who to vote for, here's my ballot complete with my rationale for each selection (however weak) and as an added bonus, a card of the player. I'll start with the American League.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

First Base - Kevin Youkilis

I had to really think about this one since Kevin's stats are so similar to Justin Morneau's. In the end, Kevin's .926 OPS gave him the edge over Justin's .851.

Second Base - Ian Kinsler

Ian is leading all second baseman candidates on the ballot in the triple crown categories, and he has 20 steals to boot. No-brainer.

Third Base - Alex Rodriguez

Yeah he's annoying, but you can't argue with .322 BA 15 HR 43 RBI 10 SB.

Shortstop - Edgar Renteria

Let's face it, Jeter's going to win in a cakewalk and statistically no one stands out in the AL shortstop crowd. I liked Edgar when he was a Brave and I freaking LOVE him now that he's given us Jair Jurrjens.

Catcher - Joe Mauer

Catchers are not supposed to hit .323. They sure as hell aren't supposed to do it on a consistent basis.

Outfielder - Josh Hamilton

Just look at the stats. They're sick. Can you imagine the career numbers he'd have if he just kept his act together? Cards, not drugs, kids.

Outfielder - Ichiro Suzuki

C'mon, ya gotta vote for Ichiro.

Outfielder - Milton Bradley

Milton is having a career year and I didn't feel like voting for any more Red Sox or Yankees.

Designated Hitter - Frank Thomas

This is kind of a sympathy vote since Big Papi is on the DL, but Big Hurt is hitting the ball well since he returned to Oakland.


NATIONAL LEAGUE

First Base - Lance Berkman

The dude is out of control. A .365 average, 22 homers and even 12 steals. Since when is Berkman a speed demon?

Second Base - Dan Uggla

This was the toughest vote to make, both Utley and Uggla are having fantastic years. The determining factor was that Mark Freaking DeRosa had more votes than Uggla when I cast my ballot. I can't let Cubs fans get away with that crap.

Third Base - Chipper Jones

If Chipper Jones was hitting like Andruw Jones, I'd still vote for him. I'll be writing his name in even after he retires. If I get bored today, I might very well find some old unused e-mail addresses and vote for him a couple hundred more times.

Shortstop - Hanley Ramirez

The voting is really tight at NL shortstop and Hanley is clearly better than Miggy at this point in their careers.

Catcher - Brian McCann

No, this isn't a homer pick, McCann is the best catcher in the National League. Screw those ballot-stuffing Cubs fans.

Outfielder - Ryan Braun

Doing my part to push the Hebrew Hammer over Fukudome.

Outfielder - Carlos Lee

I feel bad for not voting for Griffey, but Carlos has the stats.

Outfielder - Adam Dunn

Ok, he doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting voted in, but I want to see the Big Donkey aim for that right field porch.

That's it, if you don't like it, cancel me out by voting yourself. You have 25 votes so use 'em wisely.

6 comments:

Wax Heaven said...

Is it alright for me to say as a baseball fan that I don't give a crap about the all-star game? What a waste of time and effort. Besides, the good players don't get in half the time.

Anonymous said...

Dude, how the crap is Jason Kendall only a few thousand votes away from McCann????

Seriously, I know Kendall is a good defensive catcher, but comeon, do the Braves fans just not vote, or what.

Bay Rat North West said...

It would be sweet to see one half of The Donkey Punch Express in the Home Run Derby.
Adam deserves a little spotlight time.

Motherscratcher said...

Good ballot. I'd suggest one change. And yes, it is most definately a homer change.

Sizemore instead of Bradley. I know Sizemore doesn't have a great average, but his HR, RBI, and SB totals a good. Especially for a leadoff hitter. And, on this vomit inducing Tribe suckfest. I don't think anyone but Grady has been on base in the last month.

And, Bradley is such a piece of shit. I know his numbers are good, but who cares. Just going to introduce yourself to the announcer?. How about just going to fuck yourself instead?

Seriously, (numbers aside) would you rather see Sizemore or Bradley on the field? Anyone who says Bradley has no soul.

Anonymous said...

That's a well-thought-out ballot, chosen with the head and not the heart.

Anonymous said...

Shortstop Derek Jeter