I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, July 26, 2008

2008 Allen & Ginter Box Break Part 6: Packs 17-20


We're to the last third of the box and after pulling my two relic cards the box is dead. OR IS IT?? That's what we writers call 'foreshadowing'.

Pack 17:
25 Aramis Ramirez
86 Kelvim Escobar
236 Alex Gordon
220 Erik Bedard
301 Felix Pie SP
21 Miguel Tejada mini
AGR-JF Jeff Francouer
Another Old Planter ad

(sound of needle scratching over record)

What what WHAAAT?
Another relic card? This is a case of serious

And it's Frenchy too, kickass. The good 'ol "two hits per box ON AVERAGE" working out in my favor again. Of course some poor kid in Cedar Falls who mowed lawns all summer in the 120 degree heat to scrape up enough money to buy a box from his local rip off dealer who jacked up the price to $175 because they are the only hobby store in a 300 mile radius just opened his box and got NOTHIN. No cards at all, just empty wrappers full of David Wright Topps of the Class ads, checklists and dried clown tears. I don't even care that I got gypped out of a card. There's even a shot print in the pack. Everybody loves Pie. Well, everyone except the Cubs.

Pack18:
123 Josh Willingham
184 Felix Hernandez
143 JJ Hardy
40 Justin Upton
WL5 Steven Harper World Leaders
US38 Pennsylvania - Ken Griffey Jr.
197 Bigfoot
172 Pablo Picasso

Ken Griffey Jr. was born in Pennsylvania? Did his dad play for the Phillies for a couple of years or something? I went to Baseball-Reference.com to see how King Felix was pitching this year and found that he has one of the more cryptic sponsor ads I've seen. I want my crown back, but I'm too scared to click on the ad. I I got my second and most likely last world leader card. With two World Leaders and an Aviation Pioneer I'm probably done with mini inserts in this box. Maybe there will be a Bazooka back or an orange parallel, whatever the heck that is. I got Stephen Harper, King of Canadia to go with Gordon in my World leaders plastic sheet. I wonder how many of these leaders will be out of office when 2009 A&G comes out. Bush will, obviously, And Gordon Brown is having some major problems in merry ole England. Vladimir Putin is on the checklist, but I thought Russia had a new president already? According to Wikipedia he's now Prime Minister, so that's cool. There's no Hugo Chavez, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad or Robert Mugabe on the checklist though. What's the point of having a World Leader insert set if you're going to leave out the ones that are always in the news? I got another gem from the non- baseball cards in the set. No, not the truck, Pablo Picasso. More theoretical physicists and artists, please.

Pack 19:
173 Rick Ankiel
218 John Maine
17 Kenji Johjima
325 Stephen Drew SP
125 John Lackey mini
US22 Michigan - Jason Varitek
295 Chone Figgins
189 Rampage Jackson

Ok, Rampage Jackson frightens me. I wonder who would win in a fight between him and the Brian Roberts ZomBot. And a ninja. As long as we're fighting people, lets throw in a ninja. And a Viking. A Viking with a gun. That would be cool. Has Chuck Norris gotten his own Allen & Ginter card yet? Poor Rick Ankiel. Last year he was the big comeback story in baseball and now Josh Hamilton has completely blown his ass out of the water. Which is totally unfair because Ankiel had to go through a lot more than Hamilton. Josh just had to kick heroin, he didn't have to deal with Tony LaRussa. John Maine is in the lead for the 2008 A&G "Douchiest Smirk" award. I've learned a very important thing from the State Flags insert set. I know a lot about baseball, but I have no freaking clue where anybody is from. Jason Varitek is from Detroit??



Pack 20:
250 Ichiro
15 BJ Upton
267 Andrew Miller
235 Dan Haren
135 Robinson Cano mini
US10 Georgia - Nick Markakis
182 Nate McLouth
73 Tadahito Iguchi

Awww... Andrew Miller is shy. Now that Dan Haren is on the D-Backs, I can officially start confusing him with Brandon Webb. Ichiro is good as an insert. The flag card pisses me off though. Half the players on the Braves team went to high school within spitting distance of Turner Field and the player on the Georgia Flag card is Nick Markakis. He wasn't even born in Georgia! He was born in New York and moved here! Brian McCann: born in Athens, GA. Jeff Francouer: born in Atlanta, GA. Tim Hudson: born in Colombus, GA. Chuck James, Blaine Boyer, Clint Sammons all born in Atlanta. Even Chipper Jones is from Northern Florida which is practically Georgia. This card is dangerous... Show the wrong cracker a card with the new style Georgia flag featuring a transplanted New Yorker and there's going to be a riot. SONNY LIIIIIIIIIED!!!


The box so far:
Base cards - 118/351 33.6%
Short Prints - 10/50 20%
mini -9
mini A&G - 5
mini black - 3 (1 SP)
State Flags - 17
Jersey relics - 3 (Joe Mauer, Albert Pujols, Jeff Francoeur)
World Leaders - 2 (Gordon Brown, Stephen Harper)
Pioneers of Aviation - 1
World's Greatest Victories - 1 (SPARTAAAAAAA)
Old Planter ad - 3

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they mislabeled their Bruce Willis card with Pablo Picasso's name. Maybe he can play Picasso in a biopic or something, with the "yippekayea" coming right before he starts to paint "Guernica."

And you have to like a guy who's last words were reportedly “Drink to me, drink to my health, you know I can’t drink any more.” (Picasso, not Willis)

Steve Gierman said...

Love the Kentucky Fried Movie clip!

Anonymous said...

Ze box, she is alive

tastelikedirt said...

Oh man, I would love to pull a Picaso card. I would buy a whole set of 20th Century artist. Sweet!

Jason V said...

what about the artwork on these cards? Have you come across any pictures that are retreads from other Topps Products?

ernest of canada said...

i'm with tastelikedirt. i want to see topps put out an a&g set of 20th century artists. i'd go all "joe collector" over a duchamp or warhol sp.

and being canadiaian, i figure that stephen harper card is an ideal candidate for [unspeakable] things done to cards [voodoo style].

Anonymous said...

My online store has all the cards you are looking for!

Anonymous said...

www.tlbaseballcards.net