I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Sticky Saturday - All Star Edition

Here's a couple of Braves stickers for you this week. The All Star starting lineups are being announced Sunday so why not do an All Star theme this week. The sticker on the right I had already, the one on the left I received from FleerFan. They both have a team logo and a cartoony looking cap on them. They're both basically the same except for one little detail.

The one on the right has "Puzzle on Back" on it. That's because there's a puzzle on the back. That makes sense, doesn't it? Here's the puzzle:

Looks like the puzzle is of the All Star game in Cleveland Ohio to me. That game was played in 1981 once the strike was over. So this sticker is probably from 1982. I'm not sure if they were inserted in packs of Fleer baseball cards or were their own set. Here's the other card back:

Another All Star game, this time the 1975 contest illustrated by R.G Laughlin. The NL won that game on a Bill Madlock two-run single in the 9th off Catfish Hunter. Pete Rose tacked on the third run of the inning on a sacrifice fly. Yaz, Jim Wynn and Steve Garvey all had homers in Milwaukee. I really like these cards illustrated by Laughlin, I just wish they were a little easier to find. Unless there were two sets of these stickers in 1982 this card has to be from 1981, as it's the first year the Braves started wearing the blue hat with the script A again. The first year I really collected Fleer cards was 1982, so these are the most recent stickers that I can still concider to be strange and exotic. Someone bring back the stickers in packs! I'm getting all nostalgic here for stickers and puzzles and 'toons now.

1 comment:

Bay Rat North West said...

Topps did the team logo sticker thing in packs in 2001 base set. Only problem was I bought 3 boxes and got 6 stickers. At least 4 were Reds logos.