I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Allen Ginter Project: Hot Nineteenth Century Girlies Edition

I'm getting really behind in my Allen & Ginter posts, so I thought I may as well show off what came in the mail today. I'll do normal write ups on both of these cards, I've got serious writer's block on my N31 post and I'm frankly scared to write the one for N30, The World's Decorations. You'll see. I'm probably just subconsciously waiting for my American Tobacco Card book to finally arrive so I actually know what I'm talking about when I write about these cards for once. These girls are just too purdy to not share with the world though so here they are.

The first one is set N27 the Second Series of The World's Beauties. I bought both of these cards from eBay seller chandyg6p81 for the low, low price of five bucks each. The guy has fantastic feedback and these were shipped safely and fast. He also has a TON of old oddball sports items up right now if you're interested in that sort of thing. I'm having great luck right now getting these cards cheaply by finding auctions from sellers who don't necessarily specialize in old non-sports items. These two were mixed in among a bunch of other stuff and I ended up being the only bidder. One thing that helped with this card was that it had an unfortunate scan. See for yourself:

It looks like Pauline is some kind of zombie vampire there out to devour your soul with those white, lifeless eyes. Actually, Pauline just has a pair of very light baby blues and my scan doesn't really do them much justice either. I decided to to risk getting a card of the Beauty of the Damned when I was actually able to find who she was by Googling. I'll get to that in the official write up, you can search for yourselves in the meantime. I haven't seen a whole lot of these cards, but Pauline seems to have a bit more of the beauty than many of the others in the second series. There's a lot of stiff, Mary Poppins looking refugees from an Edith Wharton novel in that set. Card #14, Miss Thompson, is a hot little Victorian dish however, rawr! But I digress...

Here's the second card I got, this one's from the N7 Fans of the Period collection. No, not a fan as in she's a big fan of the Detroit Wolverines or Pittsburg Alleghenys, I mean that air circulating device she's holding in her right hand. Yes, they put out a set solely dedicated to girls holding fans. Hey, it was the 1880s, you gotta get your jollies where you can. I mean look at her, you can see some exposed wrist there. Hubba Hubba. Actually this woman doesn't look a heck of a lot different from some of the townie chicks that wandered downtown Athens when I went to UGA. They hung out in the air conditioned second hand clothes shop though and didn't really use fans. Enjoy my pretties, the next time I write about them I might actually know something about these sets.

No comments: