I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, December 3, 2007

Card Of the Week 12/03

Well, the Veterans Committee has once again turned the baseball Hall of Fame from a Hallowed Hall into some place in upstate New York where you can see some memorabilia. Since they can't seem to get it right, I'm taking things into my own hands and electing my own Hall of Fame. (These guys actually did it first, I'm just being more dictatorial about it) The first member of my Hall will always be Buck O' Neil. How he could be left out with all the ground breaking work he did for the game is just inexplicable. The man discovered Ernie Banks for Pete's sake! This guy gets in next:

A lot of people hate unions and I'm not going to argue with them. At their worst, unions can be corrupt organizations that do nothing but leech off their members while actively obstructing the businesses they are associated with. That doesn't mean they are all this way and that they never do any good. I remember the strike of '81 when I was a kid and wondered why we had to watch the triple A team on TBS instead of the Braves. Then I learned about the reserve clause later on and understood why. Since then I've generally been on the players' side in any labor dispute simply because I understood where they came from before. I don't care how greedy and selfish players get, the owners have about 80 more years of bad Karma they have to burn off before I'll have much sympathy for them. Marvin Miller was the man who worked his ass off to get the reserve clause overturned. In doing that, he completely changed the way professional sports do business. Last time I checked, professional sports were doing pretty goddamn well for themselves even though the poor owners have to give a lot of that money to those selfish, greedy players. Because Marvin killed the owner's cash cow, he's being denied entry into the Hall of Fame out of spite. I doubt if Marvin will ever see this blog, but if he does, he should know that I think you are now, have always been, and will always be a baseball Hall of Famer no matter what short sighted people carrying grudges think. You changed the way the world worked for the better. That's a true Hall of Famer in my book.

No comments: