I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, December 17, 2007

What have I gotten myself into

Well, I won the Popes. I've got 4 of the Emperors now, which is not quite enough for me to actively try to finish the set. If some joker lists Caligula as the Dalai Lama though, I'll be forced to win it and thus be close enough in my mind to attempt the set. Four out of ten isn't enough for me to feel the urge to try and finish it. I've had three of the National Pride cards for a while now, and I haven't had the compulsion to go out and get the rest even though they are in 99 cent listings all the time and I actually really like that set.

I may have really blown it with what I received in today's mail. Like I said in the previous post about the Emperors, I have a widgit on my home page that scrolls through Allen & Ginter eBay listings. One for a N43 lot with Bruce Lee in it caught my eye and I clicked. It was a lot of four of the N43 box toppers including Lee. The seller turned out to be the guy who sold me the last A&G shortprints I needed. I bid on the lot but wasn't the high bidder. I checked his other auctions and found another lot of N43's. I bid on that one, and ended up with this:

Yeah, that's a lot alright. Ten of them in fact. Got them real cheap too, about a buck and a half a pop. The one N43 card I already had (Vlad) wasn't in the lot either. So now I have eleven out of fifteen from the set. A set I wasn't planning to try to complete. Which I probably will try to complete now. And since I'm going to try to complete that set, I'll probably go after the National Pride set too, since I actually like that one better. I'll also find a few cheap Emperors along the way, so there's another set to complete. I also have a bunch of flag cards as I was working on that set before I got sidetracked by the original A&G flags. Hey, gotta get them too. And if I have the Flags and Emperors, I'll need at least one snake. What the hell have I done...

On the bright side, I now have something to do while waiting for 2008 Topps to come out. Also if I hadn't found that auction I wouldn't have won these as well:

I've been outbid on an Andruw rip card several times already and I haven't been too cheap on price. This one cost $5.76. The LaRoche was a bonus, I got that for 99 cents! They've obviously already been ripped and they both look like the bonus card was beat out of them. Who cares, they are a Brave and an ex-Brave (well, two ex-Braves if you want to be picky) serial numbered to 99 for cheap. I wanted to get one of each of all the obtainable rare inserts in A&G and with the rip cards I'm pretty much down to needing a press plate. I'm not going to try for a wood card or an original Perez sketch or anything crazy like that.

All because I hadn't bothered to find those last four commons I need for my base set, now I have all but committed myself to finding a couple dozen more inserts as well. Is there a name for being obsessive compulsive and lazy at the same time?

5 comments:

Rob said...

Wow...that just reminded me that I have a Prince Fielder rip card that I haven't ripped. How much of a premium is an unripped card?

dayf said...

Ripping it is probably the difference between selling it for 5-20 bucks and selling it for 75-150 bucks. Of course depending on the card you get inside ripping could be well worth it.

I checked SportsLizard and eBay for Fielder rip cards and there's none listed or completed right now. The book value for a ripped card is $25.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how things just snowball sometimes. At least you are building good sets.

--David said...

Yes, there is a name for it - "baseball card collector" :-) BTW, I got a stack of Braves I'm sending your way. There are 78 of them in the stack. The number might be considered signficant, given the holiday season..... hmmm...

AlbuqwirkE said...

Er.... what four commons do you still need? I'm down to one- no. 340 – Placido Polanco. I'd love to complete my base set and get back to the '06 set before the end of this year.