I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Yet Another Goudey Blaster

I went a little nuts on cards yesterday. A couple of blasters and a few packs mean I've got stuff to share this week. I know I've already posted a couple of these things but why not have another data point for anyone out these still on the fence on whether to buy this stuff or not. Besides, every last Allen & Ginter Blaster was cleared out of the stores on my side of town over two weeks ago. It's like a bunch of card collecting locusts swept through or something. Here's the box, with a focus on the cards I didn't have already.

13 cards I needed for the base set: 3, 20, 46, 55, 98, 104, 124, 125, 130, 150 ,159, 182, 185

I was most excited to pull Larry Doby. The Buzz Aldrin of MLB integration was a great player just like Jackie Robinson was, but never got the accolades. Every card set with a Larry Doby card in it is a good card set.

Captain Hook, Ralph Kiner and the biggest free agent flop in several decades. It's almost as if Andruw sold his soul to the devil like in the movie Damn Yankees and he turned into an old man all of a sudden.

Base Short Print: Michael Jack Schmidt

This card here made the box worth it. Powder blue jersey with a maroon helmet on a yellow background. Gorgeous.

President Short Print: Teddy Roosevelt

The president cards in this set suck, but TR is my favorite president so I can't complain.

1936 Goudey Short Print: Jake Peavy

He's not winning the Cy Young this year, but he has a Home Run result for the game on the back of his card. Chicks dig the longball.

Sport Royalty Short Prints: Josh Beckett, Tony Gwynn

Beckett's arm hasn't fallen off, which is a good sign. I've had very good luck pulling baseball related Sport Royalty cards, which is fine and dandy with me. The bummer here is that while cards 301-330 are more short printed than the rest (I've pulled as many of them as I have autographs) I've managed to get two Tony Gwynns and no one else. But, hey, it's Tony Gwynn.

Mini cards: Jonathan Papelbon red, Pedro Martinez blue

The minis are frustrating the crap out of me. They are landing at only three per blaster and if you get a Berk Ross inset then you only get two. Why the hell aren't these one per pack??

Yankee Stadium Insanity: Joe Gordon, Tommy Heinrich

I've got a big pile of these damn things and these are the very first ones from the '40s that I've received. I was beginning to think Upper Deck put them all in the high-falootin' expensive packs that I never buy. Joe Gordon is a candiate on this year's Veteran's Committee Hall of Fame ballot too, which is very cool.

Berk Ross Hit Parade of Champions insert: LaDainian Tomlinson

Parade of Champions?? LaDainian ain't won shit. And no, an ESPY award does not count as a Champion. I'm ashamed to put this card in the same page as my Reggie Jackson, Bobby Orr and Michael Jordan Berk Ross cards.

Doubles: 41

I love the set, and I got my money's worth with the short prints in this box, but dang do these doubles pile up. I'm about to mail off a bunch of them and I still have a crapload of doubles. Also: in this box was my fourth Kosuke Fukudome rookie card. So far I've pulled NINE of the damn things from Upper Deck products and not a single one out of Topps, gimmick or no gimmick. Ridiculous.

No comments: