I have no idea how to create pages but I'll figure it out eventually godammit

Monday, September 1, 2008

You learn something new every day


I ripped a pack of 1991 Bowman the other day, and I noted how the back of the card looked really odd compared to all the other football products out on the market. The stats are almost non existent, and there's this huge wall 'o text on the back. I didn't like this at all when it first came out and I didn't buy much of it even though there was a full box of it gathering dust at the local Revco. I spent my football card money on flashy Score instead. I have all my Bowman cards from the 50's in a binder, including the football so I pulled it out and saw the back of a 1955 Bowman card:


Topps was in the Heritage game back in 1991! There's a few subtle differences, and the ink is black and green instead of blue and red, but that's the same back. I'd never seen a vintage Bowman football card at that time, so the homage was lost on me. A few of the other '55 Bowmans I've seen have play diagrams on the back along with the text, those would have been cool to see in the '91 product. Too bad Topps used the design from the '91 Bowman baseball set instead of the original '55s.

Mel Gray would look cool with a radioactive glow around him. Oh well, the Cardinals ain't in Chicago any more. You had to move along with the times back at the dawn of the modern era of card collecting. Nowadays card companies steal designs from damn near anything they want without retribution.

No comments: